Ammo issue

reteach

I was shooting my new Ruger Single Seven today for the first time. I went through 14 rounds of .327, then switched to .32 H&R. Loaded and shot one cylinder-full, and as I was reloading the cylinder locked up - wouldn't turn and I couldn't get the cylinder pin out. Had to get the gunsmith next door to disassemble the thing. He showed me one case that had some extra thickness at the base. That's what locked it up. The ammo was Hornady Critical Defense. This is not a slam on Hornady. I've shot a lot of their stuff and been very pleased with it. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.
Here's a photo. The offending cartridge is in the center.
Also, I have sent an email to Hornady.

Attachments

• Hornady 32 ed.jpg
    Hornady 32 ed.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 125

reteach

Yep, the one on the right is a little bit long. I haven't heard back from Hornady today. It is a holiday week, and hopefully lots of people have some time off.

James K

Member In Memoriam
A rather ironic name for ammo that hangs up an otherwise good gun. But still a reminder to check EVERY round when loading a gun for serious purposes.

Jim

Nodak1858

I ran into issues with Buffalo Bore for my 45lc Blackhawk. I picked up some of the standard pressure 255 gr SWC to carry will hunting. But about half were too long to fit in the cylinder and still rotate. Ended up seating them a bit deeper to make them work. Could have been a bad day in production or made on a Friday, who knows, funny things happen sometimes.

Mal H

Staff
reteach - out of curiosity, can you take and post another image of the center cartridge from a different angle? I would like to see the base more full-on. What at first glance appears to be a tapered amount of extra metal, it also looks a little ragged.

reteach

Mal H - Is this what you're asking for? I think the roughness seen from the edge is the headstamp letters. It looks like the base is bulged, maybe.

Attachments

• Hornady 32 end.jpg
    Hornady 32 end.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 35

Koda94

I know its not .327 but I've had problems with the crimp in Hornandy Critical Defense 45acp... wont use them anymore... and I've read other reviews with the same problem.

Mal H

Staff
Thanks for the new image. I've never seen the headstamp overlap the rim edge like that. That is a weird defect. It's like it was too thick and then beveled.