Ammo For My New Custom 1911

Oscar

Dear Friends,
I'm splurging on a new custom 1911 from Marc Krebs Custom in Illinois. What should I feed this new beauty? I plan on keeping it really clean, but I'm wondering if there is any particular ammo (other than reloads) to stay away from. S&B ammo is really cheap, but would you avoid it? Any other brands you could recommend or that you would recommend avoiding?
I can hardly wait til it arrives, and I want to have plenty to feed it (at least 500 rounds) when it does.
Best Regards,
Oscar

Mark King

I think I'd ask Mr. Krebs what he would run through a gun he just built. He could also give you a good formula for a handload to run through it as well..
BTW I like the S&B ammo and have used quite a bit without any problems.
Mark / FL

[This message has been edited by Mark King (edited October 03, 2000).]

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
I do not understand the statement about staying away from reloads. Myself and many others who have shot thousands of rounds through our 1911's have mainly shot mainly reloads (granted our own reloads) through our 1911's.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have been trying the Hungarian made "Lake City" .45 ball ammo and it is pretty good.
I have not used S&B .45, but their other ammo is good.

Most makers/rebuilders automatically recommend against reloads for liability reasons; they simply feel that with no standards and no control over the reloader, they can't guarantee a pistol with reloads.

Further, there are so many weird bullet shapes and types available that no one can make a pistol to feed and function with all of them, so most makers guarantee pistols only with factory ammo, sometimes only with GI Ball specification ammo.

Jim

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Jim,

I understand your point but he stated he's getting a custom gun. All the custom guns I ever ordered will feed any type of ammo. I was just curious that's all.

Dishing out a lot of money for a custom 1911 and limited to just ball ammo isn't acceptable in my book. Then again, that's just my opinion and take it for what it's worth.

Gopher .45

The cleanest ammo I have found for the .45 is Fiocchi 230 gr ball. It is not the cheapest, but it is pretty cheap. At Ammoman.com, you can get 500 rounds for $100 or 1000 for $199, delivered. Fiocchi sells out fairly regularly, but they restock just as regularly.

From my own non-scientific tests with other commercial ammo, Fiocchi is much cleaner than most others and hugely cleaner than ammo like S&B and Federal American Eagle. If you are a reloader, the used cases are cleaner too.

I have been through 10,000 rounds or so of Fiocchi and have never had a dud. That isn't saying I won't ever have one, but so far the quality has been fine.

raven1

I would try many different quality brands and grains to see which ammo is the most accurate in your gun. Owning a custom 1911 myself, what might be accurate in my gun might not be the most accurate in your gun. Don't get stuck on types of ammo. Buy and try and document. Your gunsmith might be the best judge of this question and might know which ammo seems to test accurately. The best ammo is the most accurate ammo for your gun!

James K

Member In Memoriam
Hi, ArmySon,

The original question was about a maker not recommending reloads. I responded to that statement by saying that all or most will void warranties and take no responsibility if reloads are used.

At one time, some makers even provided loading data for their guns. Then they figured out that it only took one idiot reading 46 grains as 64 grains and there would be a problem. (Which is why I don't give loading data on the net.)

But makers not recommending reloads is not the same as saying that their guns will not work with reloads. I would be a lot poorer than I am if I did not fire reloads.

Jim

Oscar

Thanks for all the advice. Marc Krebs advised me to avoid only the real "high pressure" ammo. He said that any major brand of ball ammo would do just fine, and to definitely run some hollow point through it just to see how it shoots.

He didn't really get into brands, just saying some is cleaner than others, and to keep the gun clean (which I'm pretty fanatic about anyway).

He did indicate that the S&B is as good as any. Another thread references a place (I think "Natchez") that sells it for under $9 a box.

I didn't mean to malign "reloads" per se. Certainly anything our friend ArmySon (aren't you a scientist or something??) would produce would be incredible. My only worries about reloads would be their consistency and reliability, so if I'm not sold on their source, I'm probably going to avoid them.

Any advice on how to wait out this intolerable shipping/check clearing/order processing timing? I'm dying! Thanks again.

Oscar

ArmySon

Staff Alumnus
Oh I see Oscar! I thought you meant that the gunsmith recommending that you do not shoot YOUR reloads through it. All the gunsmiths I ever dealt with encouraged and knew I would shoot reloads through my guns. I send them a box to test fire.

I'll also recommend the Fiocchi ammo. I bought a case to shoot for their brass. Fiocchi brass seem to reload forever.