Ammo for Kel-Tec P3AT

DG45

380 ammo has been in short supply in these parts recently, and I was down to a couple of boxes of aluminum jacketed stuff that has really not performed well in my P3AT at all. Today I found some 90 grain brass-cased ball by a South Korean company. The ammo name is PMC. I'd never tried it before. Wasn't sure about the 90 grain part but hey! It's fine. As soon as I swiched to it, it was like the difference in night and day for my guns performance. The aluminum jacketed stuff i'd been using was ball ammo, but every 2nd or third round failed to fire. The primer was dented in every case, but no ignition. I suspect bad headspacing - or the primers dead. Bummer either way. I almost blamed it on the gun, too. because I'd fluffed and buffed and cleaned and lubed the h#5$ out of it, and I was getting misfires anyway. So I was happy as a clam when when I loaded the PMC stuff and shot an entire 50 round box with nary a problem. It fed perfectly and spent cases ejected perfectly. Needless to say, I bought a couple of boxes of the stuff on the spot, and it will certainly be my load of choice in my P3AT from here on out because it does the most important thing that a cartridge can do for me. It goes bang! when I pull the trigger.

If you have a P3AT you might want to consider this stuff yourself. I don't know what the ballistics are. I'd assume its a little higher velocity than the standard 95 grain stuff, but don't know for sure. Just know it works in my gun.

denfoote

PMC used to be called Precision Mexican Cartridges.
When the stuff was made in Mexico, it actually was good!!!
I haven't tried the Koren version yet.
Based on your report, I'm gonna get a box.

Hig789

I like the Remington golden sabers for carry. But just plinking any of the shelf shells I have shot work just fine. Have shot pmc 9mm before and they were good shells don't know if they were Mexican or south korean though.

DG45

I'm with you Donron. Nothing's more important to me in a last resort pistol like the Kel-Tec P3AT, than that it fires each and every time I pull the trigger. IMO it will do that most reliably with plain ball ammo. Thats why I liked that PMC 90 grain ball ammo from South Korea. I had a 0% failure rate with it on about 85 rounds straight over two days. That came after I'd had a FTF on about every third round on some of the aluminum cased stuff I'd bought a couple years ago. The brass cased PMC was like the difference in night and day

lanternlad

I carry Golden Sabers in my .380s. Golden Sabers are the heaviest .380 round made at 102gr, and every little bit of weight helps with penetration. I don't expect them to expand.

PMC .380s work just fine in my Ruger LCP. Of course, so has everything I've run through it. :cool:

My carry ammo is Cor-Bon DPX, but for the range I use PMC, WWB, S&B, & Prvi Partizan. I bought several boxes of Prvi Partizan JHPs from AIM Surplus, primarily for range ammo, but for back-up defensive ammo, if necessary. They're cheap, reliable, and have a wide flat nose which should give some degree of increased stopping power, even if they don't expand. You can get them here: http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=83

DG45

There's an 88 grain Remington hollow point round thats supposed to be shaped so that it'll feed reliably in a semiauto, and I've seen posts by users who say they work fine in a P3AT or Elsie Pea. The hollow part of that bullet looks very small though compared to most hollow points that you see today. Others folks say the 102 grain Remington Golden Saber HP is the way to go.

I'm not convinced. I'd like to see some real world reports of actual shootings involving these guns. Anybody know of any?

With no real world info to go on, we're just left with what we think would happen. What I think would happen is that even if a hollowpoint fed like a champ in a PA3 or LCP, it wouldn't expand. Frankly, if I was using them to defend myself, I'd hope it didn't. If it did expand, I seriously doubt they would give you adequate penetration. I think you'd be a lot better off to make sure you get bullet penetration from those little guns, than to sacrifice that penetration for bullet expansion.

I'm not sure what the barrel length is that's used in the tests that 380 auto ammo manufacturers use as the basis for their products advertised velocities, but I'm pretty sure that their test barrels are longer than P3AT or LCP barrels.

That pretty much guarantees that ammo fired from the P3AT or LCP won't even achieve the modest velocities that are advertised for the 380 auto cartridge. The last thing I'd want is for the 380 bullet to expand at very low velocity. I get this mental picture of a bug hitting a cars winshield on the highway . The bug expands all over the winshield, but it doesn't hurt the winshield.