Ammo costs

blackwaterstout

Just wanted to see what you guys are paying for ammo across the country. I've always purchased the Winchester White Box ammo for my 9mm. When I purchased the gun in 2006 I could get the WWB 100 at Wally world for $10.99. Good ammo for plinking at targets at the range. A 25 round box of Hornady Home Defense cost about $15 back then.

Recently I've purchased ammo but its much harder to find now. I was at Cabelas and no WWB in stock. Went to my two local gun shops, neither had large boxes. Stopped at Wally world and picked up a box of WWB for $26. Later that day I went to Gander Mountain where the WWB boxes were $20 so I picked up a couple more boxes.

So what are you guys paying for target loads? Is there better choices than WWB for shooting on a budget? I know those rounds are generally dirty but I clean my guns after every trip to the range so I'm fine with them.

Backwoodsboy

I have been picking up 50 round boxes of federal from wally world for 14.99 any chance I can. I haven't seen WWB in about 6 months.

Beretta686

At the gunshow this weekend, I saw someone selling the 550 round bricks of .22 for $90 and the Remington Buck-o-bullets for $170.

Crazy88Fingers

Let's just say that between the prices and availability of ammo around here, I'm mounting my new reloading press to the work bench today.

^ here here. C88F is a personal friend. I've expressed to some other forum members the scarcity of ammo down here, and when you do actually come across some..You'll need to open up a second mortgage on the house to purchase a sufficient amount.

lamarw

By reloading, I get my ammunition for from 25 to 50% of the prices mentioned above plus no gas required to get to and from my reloading bench.

I am still riding high in the saddle with powder, primer and bullets, but economical sources for powder and primers have been out since last February. Therefore, without bulk pricing reloading supplies will raise reloading cost.

dajowi

I saw a local store had 50 round boxes of Remington .45 acp 230 gr FMJ for $29. I didn't buy any though because I reload.

P5 Guy

To answer question the last box of 50 38SPL was $29.00. I always reload for 38/357 but the interweb sages and gurus got me worried about using reloads of mine as SD/HD in my carry gun. So I bought the cheapest box of 158 JHPs I could find.
9mm FMJ has run from $19.00 a box of 50 to $30.00 at the last gun show I attended.
Really if one wants to stay practiced one should 'GO GREEN' and reload it is like re-cycling but more economical.

old bear

Ammo Prices

As I only own .357 Magnum revolvers, ammo has always been a Little pricy. Lately it's gotten crazy. The lowest price I pay is .10 cents per round for high quality reloads and the highest I pay is a $1.75 a round for Buffalo Bore 38/44 +P ammo. At $1.75 per round I don't shoot a lot of the Buffalo Bore ammo:(

Oldwoodsloafer

Old Bear, I'd suggest you use some 38 Special rounds in place of 357 rounds. On the other hand, this weekend I visited the Cabella;s store in southern Michigan. Guess what! They were all out of 38 Special and 357 Magnum, as well as 22 rimfire.
Just don't have an answer right now.

Noreaster

Tula 9mm $10.50, various 40S&W $18-$20, no 45acp, 357sig $32., 44 mag WWB $41.00, all Wally World. My local LGS was extremely marked up, to the point I will not go back.

I've been shooting Tula in my G17 without problems but I'm worried about the rifling after reading a .223 review of Tula and Wolf. In the article this type of ammo wore out the rifling in something like 6,000 rds.

BigD_in_FL

Is there better choices than WWB for shooting on a budget?

Yep, called reloading your own

What exactly is the reason for the ammo shortage and higher costs?

Seriously? Where have you been since 2008 when BHO was elected? Perceived gun control, millions of new gun owners needing ammo, dollar is worth a lot less, India and China added about 1 billion to their middle classes who now want cars (batteries), EPA restrictions on current lead mines and new mining ventures and on and on................

rdmallory

No changes here. Still about $6 a box for 9mm Zero 115gn plated ahead of HP38.

I buy bullets 3k at a time and powder by 8lb jugs. Just order it on line a wait it will eventually show up.

Doug

LynnTX

Ammo

The only break we have received recently in N. Texas is that Gander Mountain opened 2 new stores in the metroplex, and Academy also opened a couple of new stores. I am assuming these stores received priority preference on inventory as the one Gander Mountain I went to had huge inventory of just about everything except 22LR. I went to the new Academy Sports store on east side and it was the same. They even had 22LR but were limited purchase to 2 50 rd boxes at about $4 or so a box. If they had not had restrictions, they would have sold out in one day like Gander Mtn did regarding the 22 LR.

I have plenty of 38 spc and 9 mm for the first time this year. I have not been going to the range much due to the shortages.