Ammo Confiscation

W. C. Quantrill

This is going around the internet, the included link appears to be valid.

Ammo Confiscation

(*Many* Americans are scared-to-death at what's coming....)

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacturer in a data base of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1, 2011.(Including hand loaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on every round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona,California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland,Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

To find more about the anti-gun group that is sponsoring this legislation and the specific legislation for each state, go to:

http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

I don't have any idea of how this is going to be enacted, personally I will refuse to turn in my ammo and will lie openly about where it is. simply say I shot it all up practicing? Of course that could lead to searching and the destruction of your home by the enforcement people but that would be worth the chance for myself. It seems that the govenment is doing everything in quick time to disarm us and destroy our society, our self reliance and self protection. File is attached of template of proposed law.

emtgunnut23

I heard about this a coupla of months back. Apparently there is some sort of organization based around the ammunition coding thing. I don't remember all the details, but some of the guys over at Ar15 used the freedom of information act and basically found that the people who have the patent for the ammunition encoding machinery started the whole ammunition accountability nonsense.

I'm sure if you did a search on ar15.com you could find what I'm talking about.

It's pretty amazing what some people will do just to make money.

22-rimfire

I feel this is just about as bad as it gets legislatively. A business pushing legislatin when they have the patent. I hope even our liberal gun grabbing legislators don't eat this "stuff".

Tin foil...
Everyone knows you need at least 5 mm of lead foil surrounded 2mm of heavy duty saran wrap, with newspaper in between the layers to they do not make contact.

It's pretty amazing what some people will do just to make money.
I think it is amazing how willing we are to support firearms manufacturers that sell us down the river by supporting import bans, making compromises on magazine capacity and such. I won't lie, I own several Ruger rifles and am planning to get an SP101. I just don't understand myself either.

alamogunr

This came up sometime ago here in Tennessee. I was notified by the state organization I belong to and also by the local club. I contacted my state representative about it. He reported back that it had very little chance of even coming up for a vote. I'll check again to see if that has changed.

I guess it takes a change in the political climate for me to get active on forums that I mostly lurk on. By the way, despite the national turn to the Democrats, Tennessee now has a Republican majority in both houses of the legislature.

M1911

I don't have any idea of how this is going to be enacted,

You first need to ask IF it is going to be enacted. The answer is that it will not.

Folks, you need to realize that barking moonbats file this sort of legislation in every legislative session in many venues across the country. In general, it has a snowballs chance in hell of ever being brought up on the agenda of a committee, let alone getting reported out of the committee with a favorable rating.

You really need to better understand the legislative process.

Kreyzhorse

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona,California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland,Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

This was introduced in Kentucky and was killed very quickly last year. I don't have any fear that this is going to come to pass in Kentucky.

I do agree that ammo will continue to be a target to firearm ownership however.

emtgunnut23

From what I'm seeing it's still alive in the IL general assembly, but there hasn't been any action with it for almost 8months. So it probably won't pass.

Knotthead

Kreyzhorse is right. It was killed very quickly in KY.

Introduced by Rep. Kathy W Stein (D) on March 3, 2008, to require serial numbers on every bullet sold on or after January 1, 2009.

* Referred to the House Judiciary Committee on March 4, 2008.

* Withdrawn in the House on March 5, 2008, to require serial numbers on every bullet sold on or after January 1, 2009.

Skans

Well, it could happen. Will it? Nobody knows for sure.

But, I've been stocking up on 12gauge, 9mm, .223, and 7.62x39 in lots of 1000 rounds whenever I can. I'd like to stock up on 10mm and 308 also.

If they pass such a law, do you really think I will be destroying my untraceable ammo by 2011? Heck no!!! Come and get me, because no way in hell I'm turning it over.

74camaroman

Here in Cal they tried making a bill that would require a handgun to stamp a code on every shell casing fired and would make it illegal to own a gun that didn't have the encoded works. It stalled in the commitee. It will probably show up again. They also wanted to pass a bill which limited a purchaser of Ammo to one box a month, tax to be added, buyer must be registered and have a permit issued in order to buy ammo, no internet ammo purchases allowed. Every ammo seller had to be registered. This didn't pass, it stalled in commitee. Gotta love the time limit and those responsible for making sure that it stalled. It will still be on the books but very doubtfull it will ever pass.
I am with Skans except if you think you are going to search my house you better be prepared for a confrontation. I will not lie down with the sheep but rather I will roar like a lion till my last breath.

kevinarmstrong

Tin foil hat? I don't think so...

Even though this may take many years to pass, I see the antis really going for this one. They will say this is 'sensible' legislation.

Although, I am 100% against it, they will argue that ammo coding won't harm anyone. People who need to buy ammo are probably up no no good anyway, right? And recreational shooters should bear the extra costs of their sport. They consider this, sort of, a luxury tax on upper class fat cats who engage in sport shooting (an avocation they don't admire anyway).

This concept is no more stupid than some of the provisions in the AWB. That passed (first time around), didn't it?

IMHO, this is type of thing would have an easy chance of passing in a state with, already, insane gun laws like NY.

alloy

anything anti related or tin foil related that begins with "scared-to-death" in the first sentence...

...nevermind.

FireForged

A system like that would cost billions and although possible, is not going to happen anytime soon. Secondly, there would be no need to start a political nightmare called confiscation. Lawmakers know that through normal attrition, the unencoded ammo would be removed by its owners through hunting/plinking and shelf life.

grymster2007

here in Cal they tried making a bill that would require a handgun to stamp a code on every shell casing fired and would make it illegal to own a gun that didn't have the encoded works. It stalled in the commitee.

The governor signed the bill into law in October of 2007.

Keltyke

After the bill was sent to a Senate Sub-Committee here in SC on 4/10/08, it disappeared. I believe it died in committee. Face it, it's a paperwork nightmare

Let's see...18 states taken from 50 is, oh...about 32 states left. Since it is NOT illegal to cross state lines to buy ammo and that has never been addressed to my knowledge - the answer is simple. Go to the nearest "free ammo" state and buy all you want.