Ammo caliber -- ease of buying // cost

jg0001

I'm getting 3 new handgun permits shortly (currently own a 9mm Sig P226 and a 0.45 ACP Kimber) and intend to get at least one 'small' gun. One item I've been wondering is if there are any calibers that are not easy to find and/or calibers that are uniquely expensive. I really don't want to get a little gun only to find that getting ammo for it is a pain. Also, in addition to the 'little' gun, I intend to get a 22 of some flavor for cheaper ammo.

---
Calibers I've considered (please comment if you've experienced problems finding ammo for these OR if you find that the ammo is rare enough to result in high pricetags):

9mm and 45 ACP --- no worries here and I can't imagine ever having problems with these

22 LR --- sounds like an easy one as well; is this usually sold in 500 lots and up?

22 Magnum --- ? no idea... is this a specialty item or normal? one of the little guns I've looked at can take this

380 ACP --- ? used in a Walther PPS I'm looking at

454 // ?? -- the calibers used in the high power S&W guns (revolvers)

50 -- as used in the Desert Eagle

(please comment on any other caliber you own that is not listed above and your experience in finding ammo and/or the cost of it)

Ideally, of my next 3 guns, I'd get a mini or subcompact gun, a new full size semi-auto, and perhaps a high caliber semi or revolver. I just want to avoid getting a gun with hard to find and/or super expensive ammo.

Thanks again in advance.

Keltyke

In my area - 9mm is dirt cheap right now. So is .40 S&W. .45 isn't bad. .32 Auto and .380 Auto are through the roof!!! Dick's has 9mm under $9 a box while their .380 is $15!!! Go figure THAT one! Their .38 spcl. is a little high at $15/box, too.