Ammo at the pawn shop

FunGramps

I'd never been in our largest pawn shop before, so I decided to take the 20 minute drive and browse around. Large, fancy shop and really nice folks.
I found two things that really caught my eye.

The first...An original and flawless as I could tell, Remington Rand 1911A1 .45 made in 1943.
It was on consignment for $1,900.00. Fair price for sure.

The second...One box of Winchester white box .380 ammo, 100 rounds, with a $250.00 price tag!

HUH?!

It's a strange place out there. :confused:

armoredman

My local pawn shop has Winchester white box 55gr .223 for $24.99 for 20. 9mm is over a buck a round. CHEAPEST was M193 200 rounds for $200. I went home and loaded up more ammo.

5whiskey

The problem is, a lot of even prudent reloaders and shooters who had significant component supplies will start to get pinched if this thing goes on as long as I think it might.

It pays to be stingy with the ammo and reloading supplies for sure. This "shortage" or whatever it's called could be a longer term thing than the last one. IRC there was about a year when primers were scarce.

dakota.potts

Your pawnshop is probably pricing off what they see on GunBroker. That's what .380 is commanding currently on there. It's available if you're willing to pay that price.

If I had to guess, it's a consequence of .380 ammo using much of the same supplies as 9mm and there just being a bigger demand to have all the lines running 9mm at the same time. 1,000 round cases of 9mm are selling out within minutes of being listed. And in many cases I'm sure they have to keep their 9mm line at full production anyways for military/LE/Gov orders

Mannlicher

pawn shops are where those neck beard old guys go to sell their ammo. I know one shop in Hollywood FL that can supply you with virtually any ammo you want. At a price. They buy their long time customer's 'stash' and mark it WAY up

rc

Prices follow politics. If we end up with a Republican in the white house in 4 years, prices will drop again. It's going to be a bumpy 4 years with a lot of legal fights to take place.

Sweet Shooter

Every Pawn Broker I have dealt with, at gun shows and on the street have always had a hard time with reality. They have always wanted new prices for used guns, and even sell reloads as factory ammo. I asked one why a box of Remington green and white .223 had three different types/color primers and actually two different types of projectiles. He said, "that's just how we get them, but they are new—opened but new". Truth is they're either selling shot-out, burned-up rifles that can't group, or they took in something half-decent while enabling those unfortunates that need their next fix. It actually amounts to lying. I'm in a bad mood, there are exceptions I'm sure, but go on, change my mind.

joe45c

Seeing our shortage here in the US and comparing it to Canada things seem out of balance. In Canada their ammo shelves are fully stocked. True Canada doesn't have the shooters we have, but my question why are our Manufactures even exporting to them when we have this much of shortage here! I checked a Cabalas in Canada and they every type of Rimfire ammo in stock.

langenc

It pays to be stingy with the ammo and reloading supplies for sure. This "shortage" or whatever it's called could be a longer term thing than the last one. IRC there was about a year when primers were scarce

Copied from above--

Next year at this time we will be having the same discussions and probably thru end
of 2022..

Next week lr so, we may have the verdict in the murder trial and that will set off another frenzie..