Ammo As Currency

Double J

A couple years ago I had two cancer surgeries done. My doctor was really into trap shooting and he offered to trade his services for ammo. Sounded OK to me!
That little event got me to thinking,(which I shouldn't ). But I got to wandering if maybe gun owners would be better off going to a similar barter system? Maybe trading instead of useing cash. Sure would confuse the TAX Man.
I could see those folks on Wall Street scratching their butts trying to figure out a head line, something like: DOW PLUMMETS BUT INTEREST IN 12 GA. NOW AT ALL TIME HIGH. ;) There's got to be fun in this somewhere.

IdahoG36

A couple years ago I had two cancer surgeries done. My doctor was really into trap shooting and he offered to trade his services for ammo. Sounded OK to me!

Operations for ammo?? That just sounds crazy to me. But, I'm sure it was a lot cheaper than paying through the nose like you would have to with most doctors.:D

B. Lahey

Sure would confuse the TAX Man.

Don't count on it.

I'm not a lawyer, but as far as I know bartering gives you taxable income, same as taking cash but harder to split up and set aside for your tax payment.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Lahey, It is awful hard to follow transfer of goods for goods...
I was in a HUGE barter club in Orlando area for years... It got investigated and rules placed on us but in a less overt setting it would be impossible.
The way we operated was our down fall. We used "TD's" (trade dollar value) I had a dump truck, a guy could use my service and I could take my "td" value and trade for coupons to a sports bar... momma never had a clue how I was drinking "for free"...
Brent

44 AMP

Staff
before you stock up....

Consider the proposed legislation (in several states) requiring all ammo to be "coded", and worse, requiring destruction of all non-coded ammo by 2011. This sort of thing must not be allowed to become law.

And, yes, barter is a wonderful thing. It does drive the tax man nuts. However, they way they get around that is they arbitrarily assign a cash value to the bartered good/services, and tax you on that.

As to ammo as currency, especially in these "uncertain times", I recommend the parable of the Cartridge, the Chicken, and the Krugeraand.

(a search will turn it up, I just don't feel like writing it all out again;))
If you can't find it, PM me.

tony pasley

Like many other things that are a good idea. The less attention drawn to it the better it works for those who do it.

FyredUp

Bartering occurs often in the area where I live. Services for goods. Services for services. Goods for goods. In the rural it is just a part of everyday life.

I have never heard of anyone being taxed for it. I can't help but wonder how it is income to trade things of equal value...

Either way, good luck in trying to prove that it is when it is done between private parties.

I honestly believe if times get harder you will see more and more bartering as people have less money, and goods or services to trade that are of value to the end user.

B.N.Real

Bartering is the oldest commerce in human history.

What Sam don't know,Sam don't know.

But,of course,I do all my transcactions in cash or mostly :rolleyes: in CREDIT. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm so on the money radar screen I look like B-52 - five feet from the radar screen.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
We got screwed 'cuz we called our system "trade dollars" once the baskerville devil hounds were on us... it was no use!
Should have called it trade credits or some such and they would have never had a puddle to bathe in! They said "since ya'll admit a *dollar value* it is a taxable income..."
Brwent