Ammo alert! Minor KB in M1 carbine..

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Euphoria over my trade for an M1 came to a screeching halt today. I purchased a box of Ammerican Ammo without much thought when I got the rifle..

In the back of my mind I knew something wasn't right.. Should have listened to the voices..

Somewhere over the last couple of years, AA had some problems reported. I read the reports, but never encountered the ammo before. Sorry to say, I have now..

This is junk ammo. I fired five rounds before an over pressure round disassembled my bolt for me.. Looked at the primers and 3 of the five showed high pressure signs - flattened primers.

This is right in line with the reports I'd read a while back..

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
No damage to me except a permanant :mad: - :D.

I suspect the bolt is fine - just a four handed problem to reassemble.. If not, there are parts galore.

BTW, ran some Georgia Arms ammo through it before the encounter with the AA stuff, so it's not the rifle - that brass looked fine.

Kentucky Rifle

Giz, GLAD you're OK....

My dear old father in law called me up and said, "Come on over! I got a GREAT DEAL on some 9MM ammo"! When I got there I saw the clear plastic cases. I knew. I tried my best to convince him that AA was junk and he'd been had. He got a little PO'd at me, then sighed and put that crapola in an ammo box and, to my knowledge, has never opened it back up.
I did take one round home with me though. I took my pocket knife and just shaved off the "full metal jacket".:rolleyes: Yeah, FMJ-right.

KR

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
:eek:

KR, same with the .30 carbine.. Dang!

MD, thanks for the back up - that was the issue that I wasn't quite clear remembering.

KSFreeman

Glad everyone is O.K. Lesson learned. One of the joys of firearms is that they are evidence of the old saw: "You get what you pay for!"

Applies to gear and ammo as well.;)