Ammo ???.... .44SPL vs. .45LC

seeker_two

Just curious....with ammo prices so high, which of the two calibers tends to be less expensive in regards to factory ammo?

....and yes, I DO reload....I'm looking to get my first big-bore (larger than .357MAG) revolver, and I'm planning to buy some factory ammo to start....and reload the brass as I go.... :D

batmann

I have a new .44 Spl Ruger Blackhawk and I am finding ammo prices a little bit more than a .45 Colt and less of it. If you reload I'm not sure it makes a whole of difference. If you are going that big, skip the Spl and go direct to the .44M.
Now, if you are getting a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, you can buy or hand load some pretty impressive rounds. I am thinking for over all versitility you may want the .45 Colt over the .44 Special.

CraigC

Handloading gets you the most out of any cartridge but it's particularly true of these two. I have to disagree somewhat about the capability of the two. The .44Spl offers you a wide range of uses in a smaller, more packable sixgun. The only advantage with the large frame .45 is with upper end loads and heavy bullets, 300gr plus. The .44Spl is an efficient cartridge and will do most of what needs doing and do so with less powder and a smaller sixgun. Factory loads are just fairly lacking. The most useful would be Buffalo Bore's midrange load but they are not cheap!

zxcvbob

Single-action, pick the .45. Double-action, go for the .44. It's really that easy. Both are great cartridges.

The Great Mahoo

Around here, the two are just about the same price, with maybe a buck or two difference in similar loads. I think the 45colt is the cheaper of the two, but I don't buy .44 SPCL.

As a note on availability, I have not seen any 45colt in months on the store shelves, but there always seems to be 44 spcl.

Of the two, I prefer the 45colts. This is probably largely due to having shot cowboy-sixguns for so long, and already stocking/loading 45colts. And CraigC is right on the gun side of things. There are scarce few .45colt revolvers out there compared to .44, even more so if you consider a .44 Mag (shooting specials).

batmann

Amen on the high prices! I did buy some .44 Spl Buffalo Bore Keith SWC for mine, but they are pricey. I can justify the price because I can also shoot them in my mag. Sweet shooting round out of my Blackhawk.

jamaica

I haven't seen any ammo for either one here this winter. Looked online and the prices are scary, if you can find it. I am sure glad I reload, and cast my own bullets. :)

Father Time

Last time I saw the prices it was $28 for the .45 colt :mad:
and $26 for the .44 special :(
Both where the Winchester "cowboy" loads 50 round boxes (no other factory ammo in stock)

Imagine telling someone from the 1880's that 50 rounds could cost $30 after taxes
(and that they would be weak loads to boot)

HiBC

You do things your way.

Here are some things that I would consider.It makes a difference what kind of firearm you are using,and what your priorities are.

No dis intended,but if you intend to reload eventually,price of factory loads may be a minor factor.

If you are looking at somthing of the strength of a colt SAA,or clone,and even the new smaller frame ruger flattop

You aren't going to be able to take full advantage of the big 45 case.The guns wont hold up to the +p pressures in the colt.

Elmer started out trying to hotrod the 45,then switched to the .44spl as it has more steel in the wheel.He was blowing up .45's.Seems like I heard ,at the bolt cuts,the wall thickness of the cyl on a S+W 25-5 is about .018 thick.

Historically it has been harder to get fine accuracy out of a .45.Partly about smokeless loads in a blackpowder case,mostly about oversize cyl throat dias.

Like .454 to 455 for a 451 bullet.

so,while for just preference,a 45 is great,but I think with standard loads,the 44 spl is the winner.With some frame strength,like a SW 696,or a flattop ruger,the 44 spl can be somewhat +P,not a 44 mag,but over 1000 fps is possible.In many cases,the .44spl will have an accuracy advantage

But,if you are looking at a very strong handgun that can take some pressure,like a Ruger Blackhawk the +P 45 LC shines.

I don't really want a .454 casull,the 1200 to 1300 fps 45 LC loads in a Bisley
are a thumper.

And,if you have a loading setup,you might check into how much 200 cases of Starline brass,and 500 cast bullets and a pound of powder costs.

You'll have 100 loaded to shoot while 100 are being shot up to reload again,all the same headstamp ,with the same number of loadings

A set of lee carbide dies doesn't cost a lot,and if you don't have a press the lee cheapo press and outfit will make ammo.But thats just me.

Lead factory loads ,bah.Jacketed loads,why? Hard cast!!

dahermit

44 vs 45 too expensive to shoot? We hand loaders/casters wonder what the heck all the fuss about, "too expensive" is all about.
Read my lips! Hand loading and casting equals all the ammo you want to shoot at an affordable price. I have been hand loading and shooting nothing but my own cast bullets in all my handguns since 1965 and have never agonized over the cost of commercial ammo.
Enough of you should have figured out the answer to expensive ammo by now that posts on the subject should have become rare.

CraigC

Elmer started out trying to hotrod the 45,then switched to the .44spl as it has more steel in the wheel.He was blowing up .45's.Seems like I heard ,at the bolt cuts,the wall thickness of the cyl on a S+W 25-5 is about .018 thick.

He grenaded ONE Colt SAA .45 because he loaded it with a 300gr .45/70 bullet with a casefull of powder. He blamed the case and thus began the myth of weak .45Colt brass.

Post-war Colt SAA .45's and replicas can be pushed to 1050fps with 260gr cast bullets.

Post-war Colt SAA .44Spl's and replicas can safely accommodate the 250gr@1200fps "Keith" load. Most prefer to use them sparingly so as to not beat up our fine sixguns unnecessarily. The 7.5gr Unique "Skeeter" 950fps load is a wonderful everyday working load.

Chesster

In small rural shop around here, both are hard to find. I have bunches of reloading components for both and may have to start rolling my own again.

HiBC

Craig C,thanks for clarifying Elmer's R+D,and the additional info_On the .45LC case.did not intend to suggest it lacked strength when I said BP design.Its volume.
If the loads are in the 900 fps range,most powders will give very low load densities.That works fine with some powders,but it can be problematic.

In the .44spl,at SAA pressures,the case will have a better fill.

Hands down,they are both great cartridges!

They both fill the bill.

Old Gaffer

teifmen1948 wrote

Here in Northern Virginia I don't see a lot of difference between the two, either.

They're both romping expensive.

Everything is romping expensive here. How do we do it?

Because at least you can get a CCL in VA, unlike MD, where I live?

It seems these days I spend more time at the computer writing my congress-critters than I do at the range practicing for the day...

All the best,
Rob