AMERIC Brass in 223

QBall45

I bought a box of mixed head stamp once fired 223/5.56.
I found about 20 that were AMERIC head stamp.
I remember reading somewere about this type of brass and can't remember why this was junk brass. Can anyone provide some insight on this?
Thanks

Fox1

Did you mean A-MERC brass?

I would like to hear what others think as well because I've stumbled across some A-MERC in 9mm and it seems like the rim is a bit thicker and it likes to bind up in the shell holder on my press.

scsov509

AMERC brass has earned a reputation as being lousy for a lot of different reasons including: 1) the flash holes are often off-center which can damage or break your decapping pin 2) the brass itself is brittle and frequently cracks when resized or flared, 3) the primer pockets are for the most part too loose for reliable priming. This is one of those things where you're best to trust the experience of others and throw this stuff away.

And just for thought, it says something about the quality of this brass that practically every reloader to ever touch this stuff has come to the same conclusions. I mean you'll find people debate and argue about virtually every other topic imaginable in the firearms community. Yet, there is almost universal agreement that this stuff is junk. Again, you're best to toss this stuff and move on.

zeisloft

Agree, toss it. When you find a community that just loves splitting hairs and debating about who makes the better widget (like this one here on this very internet) almost all in agreement that one thing is crap, it is prolly crap.
~z

Sevens

On message boards, I'm typically not the type to add a post that says the same thing without at least introducing something new to the discussion. IMO, it's wasted bandwidth.

I set that aside when I feel it's important to add even one voice to reinforce the prevailing opinion.

A-Merc is overall the worst brass I've ever come across. It's just got the most ridiculous dimensional tolerances I've ever seen. I tried working with it in .44 Mag and it was a joke. I've seen it in other calibers and I feel the same way.

If you were to find someone who thinks it's decent, I would suspect that they are very new to the game or have no idea what decent brass looks like. Because of what I have seen of it, I simply will not use the stuff. I toss it in a box of scrap metal scrap or pinch them in a pair of pliers so that it's obvious "never for use" brass.

The job that a brass cartridge case does is far too important to use the worst stuff on earth. It's a buffer between what amounts to a plasma cutting torch and your firearm and personal health.

I am one of the most frugal folks you'll ever come across and I won't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole.

A-Merc brass doesn't even register a "1" on a zero to ten scale.

Loader9

I've found resizing Amerc brass leaves you with neck tensions all over the board. From not being able to seat the bullet to the bullet falling out of the brass. At my place, it is immediate garbage and I won't consider loading it for any reasons.