Ambidextrous Safety for a 1911

Cawdor

Since I am left-handed, I want to put an ambidextrous safety on my Springfield. Setting aside the differences in length and width, are the more expensive safeties more durable or more reliable than the cheaper ones? Any recommendations?

AR-10

I put Wilson Combat ambidextrous extended thumb safeties on both of my Springfields. Part #192S (S for stainless). They look great and function fine. They cost about $50.00-$55.00.

I'd recomend having a gunsmith install the unit, as it requires carefull fitting.

I don't know if they are more durable or reliable than other units, but they are well made and close to an exact match for the factory safety in size and appearance.

hhsmiley

I just installed a set of Ed Brown ambis one one of my guns and McCormick ambis on another (both in stainless). The Ed Brown was sharp and "oversize" on the outside and required some trimming and shaping to get it to look and feel right. The McCormick has scallop type cuts on it to make it smooth on the outside and I didn't have to mess with it at all. Fitting the safeties is not that difficult if you feel comfortable in your abilities. All that is required is some filing on the post that sticks out on the inside of the safety. Just compare your existing safety to the new one and you'll see what I mean. CAREFULLY remove material from the same area with a small file, checking the fit as you go to keep from removing too much. The only difference I can tell in the two types I got is one was more work and cost $55 and one was less work and cost $29. The quality seems equivalent, to me anyway. Hope this helps.