Ambidextrous 1911 Advice??

So my dad and I are in the Market for a full size Ambidextrous 1911 in .45acp... I'm a total handgun noob so please forgive my ignorance.... Open to stainless and blued guns, maybe parkerized.... Not big on exotic metals... It must be something that is availiable in California.. Please save the California jokes, I'm getting out soon:D:D Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited:

fivepaknh

I'm a lefty and very happy with my stainless Taurus PT1911. I know a lot of people have had problems with one Taurus model or another, but this gun has given me no troubles.

CDH

I'm not normally a negative type poster, but I have to say that I'm not a fan of ambi-safeties for carrying.

For a range gun, no problem, but a scenario of having to fire with your off hand is a fantasy Rambo situation.
In the real world, you'll draw and fire with your strong hand 100% of the time.
And that means that 100% of the time, you'll have an extra stick-outy thing that is un-needed and just makes the pistol harder to conceal.

I've got both a standard stainless Commander and a Lightweight XSE Commander (w/ambi-safety), and even though the stainless is heavier, I prefer it to the XSE as a carry pistol, mainly because of it's trimmer garb due to the standard safety.

I know. That surprised me too. ;)

FALPhil

I am kind of ambivalent about ambi safeties on a 1911, but I have them on two of mine.

I practice weak hand drills every range session, and I find that ambi safeties come in handy.

I will only use the King's ambi safety. It replaces the hammer axle with one that has a dovetail that fits in a corresponding groove on the right lever. It does not require the right grip panel to be attached to the grip in order to retain the right lever, like most 1911 ambi safeties.

I also trim down the width of the levers on both sides, and more on the right than on the left. That way, the aggregate width of the pistol remains relatively small.

Last edited:

Icopy1

I'm a lefty as well and I love the 1911 platform. I would go to your local fun shop and purchase the 1911 that you like best, regardless of the safety. Any gunsmith can add an ambi safety for the price of the part plus $30 to $50 for labor. As for the part, Kimber and King safeties are my preference b/c I don't have to make a relief cut under the right panel grip.

Kreyzhorse

you'll have an extra stick-outy thing that is un-needed and just makes the pistol harder to conceal.

I'm a lefty and while I can adapt to any right handed gun very easily, in my opinion, an ambi safety on a 1911 is a must, especially if this is a carry piece.

If this is for conceal carry, an ambi safety doesn't make a 1911 any harder to conceal. I carry full size quite a bit in the winter months and it really disappears very easily.

I'm not sure what your price range is or what's available in CA, but I've got a Springfield TRP that is an amazing gun. Accurate, well made and reliable. They aren't cheap, but Springfield makes some very nice 1911s and their customer service is outstanding.

And, I might be wrong on this, but I think any just about any 1911 can be converted to have an ambi safety by a gunsmith.

Chui

Try Springfield's TRP. PHENOMENAL pistol.

I have no issues with ambi safeties. I prefer KING'S ambi safety to the "conventional" ones for durability reasons..

cdh, perhaps it's a Rambo-esque fantasy having to even use the pistol... it's not guaranteed that one will ever use the firearm and it's not guranteed that the weak hand will not be employed...