Ambi CZs

Lunker

Do any of the CZ pistols have ambidextrous controls besides the CZ85? I am really liking these guns, but am a lefty and need at least a safety/decocker to be on the right side. Thanks.

Last edited:

predecessor

Hmmm - can't swear by it yet but I think the new P07 has ambi controls (not slide release though) and provides you with the option to fit it with a safety or decocker. I'm out of town for a few days though so can't verify until I get back.

DBAR

While I own and like CZs, I'm no expert when it comes to them. I do have a friend that works in the Warehouse, and he spoke to one of the "smiths", and was told that almost any of them can be converted to ambi. You may want to give them a call. I ended up just buying an 85 Combat.

DBAR

Casimer

I'd inquired w/ CZ on the P01 recently and got the following response..

Ambi-decocking lever conversion kits are available to replace the existing
single sided lever for $77.00 (requires fitting).
Labor/installation charge for CZ-USA to install is $40.00, plus $35 return
shipping.

Which implies that the mag and slide release may not be convertible.

Cliff47

The fun is finding out which models have the ambi safety, have the ambi safety and the ambi slide release. Shoot 'em all, let the brass fall where it will.

azredhawk44

My CZ-75B Satin Nickel 9mm came with an ambi safety. It's why I bought it over a regular polycoat sitting next to it in the case: I'm a southpaw.

100_0499.jpg

Walt Sherrill

That satin nickle 75B with ambi safeties is unusual. (Handsome gun, by the way. I have a satin nickel 85 Combat.)

I think some of the new stainless models have ambi-safeties. (And some of the other newer models have mag releases that can be reversed... a plus for the lefties.)

The .40 full-size 75Bs have ambi-safeties, too.

I think only the 85 B/85 Combat has the ambi-slide release.

dwhitehorne

azredhawk44. What is the date on your CZ? My 07 nickel 75B has black controls and is not ambi. I thought only the stainless 75B has the silver controls and was ambi?

Lunker the 75B compact 40 I had also has the ambi safety. David

Lunker

I'm resurrecting this thread.

I got the 75B Compact in 40S&W. I didn't own any guns in this caliber, and around here it seems like 40 and 9mm are equally priced, and 40 is easier to find. I also hate New Jersey's 15 round limit. Of cource the CZ's in 9mm all hold 16, so I would need the 10round mags they use for NY and CA.

I really like the feel of this gun and the fact that it has some heft to it. This makes shooting 40S&W in a compact gun no problem at all. There are a couple of things I was wondering about:

1) Does CZ (or anyone else) make a flush fitting magazine for this gun? The mag holds 10, but it sticks out 3/4" from the bottom of the grip. I would sacrifice 1 round to have a shorter grip that would be more CCW friendly.

2) I was amazed that the barrel only has one locking lug. My 1911's in 45ACP have three. Does this accelerate barrel wear? Is it an issue?

Walt Sherrill

Pro-Mag makes a flush 75B Compact .40 mag, and many of us have used them with good results over a period of years. [They were "compact" hi-caps back when there was still a ban -- as they'd also work in the 9mm compacts and held 14 9mm rounds... A true dual-purpose mag!]

It's the only Pro-Mag magazine I recommend. It'll hold 10 .40 rounds.

The only problem you're likely to have is springs, and you can replace them with Wolff springs, later. You can also get the "spacer" from the 40P and fill the gap on full-size mags (and pick up a Mec-Gar 12 rounder, maybe more). That spacer acts as a grip extension.

Lunker

Thanks Walt. I ordered one. My only previous experience with ProMag was for my Beretta Cougar 8045. The Beretta mags for that gun are expensive and hard to find. My Pistol Range buddy gave me a free ProMag magazine for it. After a bunch of FTF's, I handed it back to him. Hopefully I will have better luck with this one.

Last edited:

azredhawk44

azredhawk44. What is the date on your CZ? My 07 nickel 75B has black controls and is not ambi. I thought only the stainless 75B has the silver controls and was ambi?

I couldn't tell you with any real authority... but if memory serves then I bought it around April of 2008. It was a new purchase, not used.

christcorp

Being a lefty myself; and being my CZ-82 is one of my favorite pistols; I've had little to no use for any of the controls to be on the right side of the gun.

1. It's a double/single action gun. It either has a decocker, or a safety bar that allows you to safely lower the hammer. As such, I would NEVER use the safety. I.e. If I can be in double action; why would I want "Cocked and Locked" where I would have to turn off a safety.

2. Lefties have learned over the years how to release the magazine and release the slide, using their trigger finger. It's actually faster, and in my opinion better. For what it's worth, whether holding the gun lefty or righty (The CZ-82 has ambi mag release); I can't reach the magazine button with my thumb, without turning the gun almost perpendicular to me. E.g. pointing to the right. But simply sliding my trigger finger back, I can push the magazine release; put a new magazine in; use the same trigger finger to release the slide, and go about pulling the trigger. And I can do this much easier than in my right hand using either my thumb or my second hand. And being TRULY Ambidextrous myself, I've tried it numerous way. (I am dominant left EYE; so that is why I choose to shoot lefty. But I have practiced just as much with my right hand in case I need to.

So while you can go out and find ambidextrous controls, the traditional "Right" handed controls are actually easier for a lefty once you know how to use them. The EXCEPTION to this, is the safety. But again; unless you're carrying a 1911 45acp; most of the guns you're speaking of are double/single action. Decock it, and then you have a double action. There is no need to ever use the safety. And for what it's worth, the safety on a sig is really tough. While it's not hard to turn OFF the safety with your thumb; it's almost impossible to turn the safety ON with your shooting thumb. But again; it can go double action. There is NEVER a need for the safety. I have no idea why it's even on the gun. There isn't a safety on a double action revolver; why would you have one on a double action semi-auto. SigSauer doesn't have one either. Oh well; just an opinion.