(amateur)Range report: P-226 Tac ops .40 S&W + Ammo

Patriot86

My second trip to the range with my P-226 this weekend and I must say the more I shoot my SIG the more I fall in love with it.

The firearm feels much "smoother" than the first outing, I am shooting tighter more centered groups and I am happy to report I am no longer having trouble getting magazines fully loaded with 15 rounds of .40 S&W to lock in place(Out of the box, several of the Magazines would only lock in the gun if loaded with 14 or fewer rounds).

The Good:
The gun, SIG P-226 TAC ops .40 S&W is reliable with no FTF's or jams I can attribute to the firearm. Easy to disassemble, easy to shoot, easy to aim, VERY easy to take apart and clean.

The Bad:
The ammo: I have been shooting federal 180gr FMJ federal ammo through my gun along with some Herters select grade 180gr FMJ ammo. Today I had my first and only FTF that I attributed to the ammo. The top round in magazine #3 would not feed, the slide locked over and over again on this round(refusing to fully come forward). I tried a few experiments and narrowed it down to the round. So that is 1 bad round out of 100(I shot 50 my first trip and 50 this trip of the Herters). Even if it is $2.00 a box cheaper not sure I am going to get more.

The Grrrrrrr:
Still shooting high: I am still not sure if it is me or the fiber-optic front sight , I am going to work on my form and see if I can narrow it down.(probably my own human error)

So there you have it my first (amateur) range report.

Sgt Pepper

Nice job! Everything sounds normal. In my experience, brand new Sigs take a little while to shoot in and settle down. I would say that most handguns are probably like that, but when I bought a new Sig, I was always anxious for it to be dead solid perfect right out of the box. After running through some rounds, they really set in nicely and shoot as advertised. Quality of ammo can also affect quality of precision, and you have to remember to not get carried away when your gun won't tightly group with the cheap stuff at longer ranges.

The high shooting could be the ammo or it could be you. Are you covering the bullseye with the front sight or shooting at 6 o'clock?

Last edited:

THORN74

i have a sig p226 in .40 s&w also .... it was the first pistol i ever purchased. I love that gun. its pretty sweet. make sure ur using proper sight alignment.

as for the herters (which many think is just rebranded wolf) 1 bad round out of 50 isnt too terible, but many would agree not to use it ...the steel cases can be hard on a gun.

u should try georgia arms. the bulk "canned heat" is a great buy and its great ammo. i have over 1000 rounds of that stuff thru my 226 and it just eats it with a grin

Patriot86

I forgot to mention this herters select grade had BRASS cases, the only reason I purchased them. They are $2.00 cheaper per box of 50 than the federal I had mostly been shooting.

Sooner or later I plan on making a bulk purchase I just have not gotten that far yet.

As to where I am aiming I typically cover the "center" of the center circle with my front sight, Part of the issue also may be I am having some shoulder/neck problems as of late.

Oddly enough I ran (1) Magazine of 180gr gold dots through my 226 when I first got it and that is about the best group I ever fired.

NJgunowner

I like 165 grain myself for my p226. I'm not sure how much you are paying for ammo, but I buy from ammunitiontogo.com . They usually have pretty good pricing, and certainly beats the local prices here. I tend to buy lawman or Fiocchi for target practice. Never one failed to fire since day one.

Patriot86

The odd thing about the malfunctioning round is I could not eyeball the problem, side by side with the other rounds it looked and felt the same. 1 out of 50 may not end up being bad BUT I have fired off about 500+ rounds of federal and more than 100 from Winchester with no failures in either.