Am I wrong for doing this?

Ridge_Runner_5

Whenever I get a new gun, or change something critical (like the bolt carrier assembly in my AR-15), I absolutely refuse to put a live round in the chamber before taking it to the range and giving it a workout.

I've had an ND before, and would prefer not to repeat the event.

I just don't feel I can trust a firearm to safely load a round without testing it first. Even though the event that precipitated this condition was 100% my fault and my own stupidity.

Any thoughts?

OcelotZ3

That's what snap caps are for... Chamber all you want to check feeding, ejection, firing pin strikes, etc.

And if you use a new cap that hasn't gotten a primer strike, you can tell if the firing pin inadvertently hits it when chambering.

357 Python

Is what you are doing safe? Sounds like it to me. As long as it is safe who cares what anyone else thinks? Be glad you are able to be here and ask the question. There are many stories of folks that were not concerned about safety. Some are in jail, some are in hospitals, some are in rehab centers, and others are no longer here. Safety first, always.

Ronbert

I approve of that bit of caution.

I'll go you one better.

I don't chamber a round in any of my firearms except revolvers when in the house. While it's a near vanishingly small risk that something will go wrong I see manipulating slide/bolt with live ammo as a non-zero chance for something bad (hearing damage and a hole in the full water barrel which is my dryfire backstop) to happen. I've never seen a problem on the range from dropping the slide but...... I don't find in necessary to do it in the house either. I use dummy rounds for feed checks and such.

My CCW and my bedroom guns are both revolvers.