Am I the only one (ruger lcp)

cbuck

I recently got an sr9c about a month ago and love the gun. today i went into the lgs and asked to see one of the lcps and lc9s that they had in the display case. the lc9 was much bigger than i expected, the lcp however felt really good in my hand.

my only problem with it is that its chambered in 380. at this point i have pistols chambered in 22 38spl 9mm 45 and 9x18mak (got a great deal on a cz82) and dont like the idea of having to pay to shoot a cartridge that is similar to the 9mms i already have but cost as much to buy locally as 45 ammo. am i the only one that thinks ruger should have just made the lcp in 9mm and 22 as well as 380

arch308

Personally I think an LCP is too small for 9mm. It kicks pretty good in 380.
As for one in .22, why bother?

hoytinak

I just wish the LC9 didn't have a manual safety, that's the only reason I haven't bought one. I'll just stick to my LCP.

bigghoss

I believe the extra chamber pressure of the 9mm makes it too powerful for a gun that small. I think I've heard of one that was around that size but it was extremely expensive. I would like to see a .22lr LCP to practice with, and it would be a fun gun.

If the LC9 was an enlarged LCP for the 9mm like it should have been I would have bought one. But they mucked it up with lawyer junk like they did the P345 and SR series. Ruger ruined some really nice guns with that crud.

hangglider

I have an LCP and carry it alot--it's really a "special mission" slim gun that boldly goes where no other caliber can. : ) You might want to look at the new nano (which I also got and is being put through it's paces by WildBill elsewhere on this forum) that's a serious 9mm but still a small conceal--though not a micro like the LCP is IMO.

LockedBreech

The gun is really too small and thin built to handle a beefier caliber. That tiny nature is what makes it my favorite carry gun :)

Yung.gunr

I have a TCP, which is pretty much the same size. It's all about trade offs, Great concealability vs caliber. I had 9mm before I bought my TCP, but I happily bought the .380 gun and ammo because it meant that I could carry daily. With my 9mm there would have been no way for me to carry nearly as much as with my .380.

If you really want to carry deep concealed one of the .380 pocket autos is the way to go (IMHO). It's all based on your limitations vs your wants I think. I.e. I wanted to carry every day, but I was limited by size.

FWIW, I don't think I would want to shoot a LCP chambered in 9mm, for multiple reasons....

cbuck

well i guess ill just have to hope with all the 380 pistols that have come out lately ammo prices will drop down closer to that of 9mm or 40

SWglockmagnum

I have an LCP380, and i think it's the best investment i ever made. it's not MEANT to be a shooting gun that you go tear up at the range, it's meant to fit in your back pocket and only be fired when you're life is in danger.

But, i do take mine out to the range..

everyone complains about the kick on these little guns. But the same people who complain about it are the same people who hold it with one hand to shoot, or hold it in one hand and grab their wrist to steady their hands, or generally speaking don't hold the weapon correctly.

if you hold the weapon in your strong hand, then put the meat of the inside of your thumb firmly on the opposing side and wrap your index finger and thumb around the front of the gun and secure the trigger guard, there is hardly any kick to it...

you have to hold this gun a very specific way.. with that said, when i hold it correctly, i can put groups the size of an orange at 30 yards with it no problem at all. at 7 yards, i can blow the center of the target out. not many people have such luck, but... again, it's all in how you hold this particular gun.

long story short though, i'd go with the LCP380

SWglockmagnum

"I just wish the LC9 didn't have a manual safety, that's the only reason I haven't bought one. I'll just stick to my LCP."

i completely agree with that. Carrying that gun in my pocket, feels so much safer than any of my other single action pistols.

with having a manual safety, i'm always afraid i'm going to disengage it and have the weapon fall on the ground and go off (never happens, but it's a necessary phobia) whereas the double action hammer in this weapon is considerably safer for so many reasons.

When the weapon is cocked, the hammer is locked into position and cannot physically be released until the trigger is completely depressed - which is highly unlikely in a normal carry situation. even if the weapon is dropped.

arentol

Have to agree with SWglockmagnum on this... The LCP, like my P-32, is meant to be carried at all times for self-defense, not to be shot at the range a bunch. You don't need to buy a lot of ammo, nor expensive ammo, for it at all. .380 isn't the best penetrator in JHP so just buy a box of Fiocchi 95 grain FMJ which should run you about $15 for 50 rounds. Take the gun to the range and shoot up the box. If it works fine then go and buy another box of it and load up your magazines and stick the gun in one pocket and any spare magazine(s) in another. You are set to go. Thereafter shoot up the stuff you have been carrying every 6 months and reload your magazines again from the box of 50. Using this method you will only need to buy ammo every 18 or 24 months, your gun will get a regular workout to make sure it is working well, and your ammo will always be reasonably fresh.

Last edited:

sourdough44

I've never been a big 380 fan, til I got my LCP. For light duty is a great carry gun. I have some Speer goldots & Hornady crit defense 90 grn ammo to get the most out of it. The rest I used reloads with 100 grn RN plated bullets.

Carry_24/7

I carry the LCP in situations where my PPS is not practical, such as a light shorts day.

Yes, there are times when a heavier gun is not practical for me. I'd rather carry my 1911 all the time too, but it ain't gonna happen.

Kreyzhorse

Personally I think an LCP is too small for 9mm.

+1. I can barely hold onto the LCP shooting .380s out of it. I don't think I could hold it at all if it were chambered in 9mm. Don't get me wrong, the LCP is a great gun for what it was made to be but it's small size wouldn't translate well with a more powerful round.

CWKahrFan

am i the only one that thinks ruger should have just made the lcp in 9mm and 22 as well as 380

Well, there ARE limitations in physics and metallurgy... No production 9mm is gonna be AS thin and light as an LCP...

In the "closest to" ballpark size and price range we now have the Kahr CM9 and Beretta Nano battling it out for market-share

cbuck

ok i understand that the physics side of things restricts making a pistol as small as the lcp chambered in a bigger caliber. i do however think that a gun that you carry and are willing to trust your life with should be shot regularly to keep your proficiency with it, so if not 9mm what about a 22lr version so that ammo was cheap and the kick was not as bad as some people have stated it is so you could have one to carry and one to practice regularly with

hangglider

Lots is made of the 380 "inadequacy" by bigger caliber advocates. As a 20 ft range or closer weapon, with rounds like powrball in it--my guess is that you are in serious trouble if you're on the receiving end of a reasonably well-placed shot. More so if you get "zipped" from bottom to top. I've thought of trading other weapons for the "latest greatest" but my Elsie is a keeper.

checkmyswag

I just wish the LC9 didn't have a manual safety, that's the only reason I haven't bought one. I'll just stick to my LCP.

I just wish the LCP had a manual safety.

As far as the LC9 being big...it's very small for a 9mm.

WildBill45

The LCP is for small concealment, so it comes with the situational problems of such a small size. One must adapt the grip, mental state, and technique to handle it! They work well for up close and personal protection, especially so because you tend to carry it more since it is so easy to carry.

Yes, I did do a video on the LCP, I knew you would ask! I will do another this weekend on my small auto video involving a mix of models.

Here is the LCP video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWXv-YOuhFA