Am I paying too much for Shipping?

defjon

I shipped my Ruger SP101 to a member here from Midwest Firearms in East Peoria, and all together I paid 57.00 dollars to have it shipped to Texas. Is that right? It seemed like a lot of money just to ship..they charge a fee and for shipping

rantingredneck

Depends on how they shipped it, and how much their transfer fee is.

Transfer fees can range from 10 bucks or so to 50 depending on the FFL. Shipping on a handgun can range from 15-20 bucks for USPS (FFL's can ship handguns this way but regular folk can't) to 50-60 bucks for UPS overnight air (the way you as an individual would have to ship it.)

57 bucks total is within reason given the circumstances.

This is one reason that I keep my handgun selling/trading local these days.

NavyLT

I am assuming that it went FFL to FFL? Shipping to a non-licensed individual in another state is illegal, even for a FFL to do, unless it is a return of a repaired firearm or replacement to the original owner from a manufacturer or gunsmith.

Anyway, if you had shipped the gun yourself to the FFL in Texas, it would have to be shipped next day air by FEDEX or UPS to comply with their company policy and would have cost you $70+.

$57 sounds about on the upper end of reasonable because you paid a FFL transfer fee + mailing costs.

Storm52

High. My FFL ships for $25 total. No clue as to what his actual costs are and don't care. USPS rates must be far cheaper that public companies.

ChiefTJS

That sounds like an average that I've paid for FedEx on the last several guns I've shipped. I would expect an FFL to charge less since they can use the postal service.

langenc

Ihad one shipped from CO to MI--FFL to FFL- by UPS. Total $13.12 and it took from Tue to Monday to get there.

ImprobableJoe

It sounds expensive but not unreasonably so. I've shipped a bunch of stuff, and depending on the size, weight, and insurance level it has ranged in the $20-30 range. Add in possible FFL charges, which could be $10 on either or both ends, and you're talking expensive but not beyond the realm of possibility.

dogtown tom

I charge $10 plus actual postage to ship a handgun via USPS.

Using a flat rate box, insurance and delivery confirmation the cost rarely exceeds $16-18 for postage.

If you dealer charged you $57 you paid too much. Doesn't matter whether it went USPS, UPS or FedEx.

Find a cheaper FFL.

Q!!

I would slap the guy trying to charge me $57 for shipping and FFL fee. My shop charges me $20 for UPS 2nd day to anywhere in the U.S. And he does not charge a fee for guns going out, only guns coming in.

I guess with the economy the way it is some people are trying to suck every bit they can out of you.

dk148

You could have shipped the gun yourself to the FFL using UPS or Fedex next day service. The receiver has to be an FFL not the shipper.

got_the_itch

Depends on how they shipped it, and how much their transfer fee is.

Transfer fees can range from 10 bucks or so to 50 depending on the FFL. Shipping on a handgun can range from 15-20 bucks for USPS (FFL's can ship handguns this way but regular folk can't) to 50-60 bucks for UPS overnight air (the way you as an individual would have to ship it.)

57 bucks total is within reason given the circumstances.

This is one reason that I keep my handgun selling/trading local these days.

I hear that rantingredneck, I alway want to keep my business local if and when at all possible. Plus, going local has many more advantages IMO. It just makes things so much easier, no middle man, no fuss-no muss.

Also, in alot of cases which I'm begining to find out. (Cause I'm a fairly new shooter) The more time you spend at your/my local FFL. The better deal your gonna get. I have 2 FFL within a couple miles from home. And both of them will beat any deal I can find online. But the also know, they have my lifetime business.

lee n. field

I shipped my Ruger SP101 to a member here from Midwest Firearms in East Peoria, and all together I paid 57.00 dollars to have it shipped to Texas. Is that right?

The last time I shipped a firearm wa years ago. $42 then, "next day saver". $57 would not be out of line.

ramp_tech

Seems a bit high to me but I have seen worse.

For a FFL to FFL transaction, it's about $25~40 a pop around here (Ohio).