Am I insensitive...

Tom2

Well you could buy the one without pink grips and say it is a support our troops ribbon! Paint it yellow! They should do both and let you choose which to donate to. Actually I think it is a limp attempt at political correctness and appeasement to the gun haters, who could hate a gun that supports a noble caring cause like that? Hmm? :D

44 AMP

Staff
No problem with the ribbon....

Or the pink grip, or part of the proceeds being donated to Breast Cancer group. I have a problem with it being plastic tactical crap. Not for me.

This is not a slam on the quality or the functioning of the gun. Only that my preferences for handguns do not include plastic frames or guns with accessory rails. I can live with a scope mount just fine (for some designs), but light/laser mounting rails made into the frame just turn me off.

Bitmap

I'll be insensitive and say that I read that if you compare rates of prostate cancer to breast cancer, that breast cancer has WAY more federal funding. But all I seem to hear about is breast cancer.

Let's have a gun for prostate cancer awareness and make a part of the price a donation to cure prostate cancer.

I'll bet the feminazis would freak out over that.

...for not liking a pistol with a breast cancer awareness ribbon on the slide and pink grips?

Without being there to judge your statement by how the question was asked and the tone you used, I'd say people need to keep their sentimental feelings in check when they ask you an honest opinion on how the gun looks.

I see it just because it may be for a good cause doesn't necessarily mean you have to like the way the gun looks. It doesn't detract from the meaning of the cause. And that's where I think people don't understand the dividing line...

MeekAndMild

Insensitive? Yes, that pretty much sums it up.

Me, the sensitive slob that I am, I dislike it purely because I think it's a cheesy Fakenglock. :rolleyes:

Bitmap

I'd say S&W is just trying to get more women to like S&W while being insensitive to men.

This from Business Week last year.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2007/tc20070612_953676.htm

This year 218,890 men in the U.S. will be diagnosed with prostate cancer, according to the American Cancer Society. By comparison, 178,480 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in women. Not a huge difference, but a new report finds that for every prostate cancer drug on the market, there are seven used to treat breast cancer, and federal spending on breast cancer research outpaces prostate cancer spending by a ratio of nearly two to one.

bentol888

Don't worry about it. My wife is a childrens cancer rasearch nurse and every year she is involved with a fundraiser to get adults to shave their heads every st. Patricks day and I won't volunteer. Doesn't make me insensitive. I think....:eek:

YukonKid

I wouldn't buy one. Give me a yellow ribbon one and its a maybe.

There are better ways to help people then buying pink guns.

YK

copenhagen

My mom used to be so against guns that she through my .22 away when I was like 10 or so. What a nut case I thought. Well, then, when I was 17, she developed breast cancer which was deemed life threatening. She had a very small chance of surviving. A double mastectomy and re-constructive surgery later, she survived. I know it took a great emotional tole on her, and myself and little brother. Recently, due to rising crime rates and burglaries, and due to my recent interest in hand guns (I always used to be a long rifle sort of guy), my mother decided she wanted to get a hand gun for home defense. She even dry fired my little 1911 with snap caps. Might not sound like a big deal to you guys, but for the Mama, that was somethin'. Well, I can tell you, I had been looking for a SIG P220 for Mama, but now, I am going to be re-considering.

As for your original question... are you insensitive? I don't think so. I would probably have reacted the same way had I not had an incident which happened to my own Mom that makes this gun fit my particular 'marketing niche.' Different strokes for different folks. I realize that this is a gun which probably does not really have much of a market.