• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Am I going insane or...

am I just nuts?

At the bottom of every forum thread summary page, didn't there used to be a drop-down navigation list for other forums on the site?

I could swear that it was there before I went to lunch, and now it's gone...

Wildalaska

The eyes are the first to go, then the body starts turing numb, speech fails......

WildihavenoideawhatheslookingforbutsoundsgoodAlaska

tyme

Administrator
The forum is too bloody slow. I'm trying to speed it up. That particular feature will probably be turned back on soon.

Slow?

Odd, I've not noticed any speed lags in forum performance the past couple of weeks that haven't also been mirrored across all internet sites.

tyme

Administrator
Really? I've noticed intermittent lag, and there have been a fair number of dup postings in the last week.

Mal H

Staff
Justin, I've noticed the same thing Mike has. When TFL was slow or completely unresponsive, I would tab over to THR and find the same symptom. It's happened more than once, so I was thinking it has to be a net latency or virus problem and not a TFL problem. Of course, there might be two problems going on at the same time, a local one and an internet one.

pax

Speaking of lag, I keep bumping my nose against the "don't search so soon" feature. It's truly driving me crazy. I'm on dialup, so I habitually open at least two windows so one will have time to load while I read the other. I'll hit a search string in one, leave it to load, and go read the other. When I'm done skimming that one, I'll hit a search string (usually "new posts"), then go back to the first window -- as often as not to find that I was supposed to have waited another 4 seconds before hitting "send" on that one, and now I'm going to be sitting here staring at the obnoxiously slow-loading window while it grinds through the process of reluctantly putting up one itsy bitsy piece of data at a time. Then I go back to the other window and find that that search string got denied too. It's enough to make a girl take up knitting.

pax

hkOrion

pax-

use Firefox. The open in new tab option is awesome. Do a search, then open tabs and they load while you're still viewing the original page. You can change tabs - VOILA! - loaded info.

Mal H

Staff
hkOrion, I agree that Firefox is a vast improvement over IE, but that wouldn't solve pax's particular problem. The 60 second wait between searches would yield the same result whether she is using discreet windows or tabs. She would click on the background tab to bring it forward and see the exact same message.

sm

tyme,
I would appreciate if you would sharing what you do discover as I am taking CIS/IT studies. I'm, lurking, listening and learning. :)

FWIW - I cannot get into THR or APS. For a few days I have noticed this "lag" as you mention. It occurs if I access with 11Mbps , using Firefox, IE or Opera. Does the same thing if using dial-up as I am now @ 52.0 Kbps using Firefox.

Not just VB or other forums, for instance my online texts at Cisco, College WebCT and Moodle, or doing searches using my preferred Teoma, even just perusing Wikipedia...

"Gremlins" - what I call 'em. Oh well I at least have my hardcopy texts and did make 3 batches of brownies...

Steve

Gewehr98

Similar findings here.

Firefox tells me that the URLs are taking too long to respond, and both APS and THR aren't accessible. TFL was a bit laggy until earlier last night.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking the web is under a barrage of DDS attacks again, in the last 24 hours I've received a ton of virus-infected emails supposedly from "webmaster@snipercountry.com", and I never visit there nor have they been on my Outlook contact list. Maybe a worm or Trojan attack is blooming this weekend?

tyme

Administrator
Viruses and spam shouldn't affect TFL's performance at all.

The problem with TFL and large vbulletin boards in general is that myisam tables in mysql are terrible. Another view is that vbulletin is improperly designed, since jelsoft should know that virtually everyone uses myisam tables. I'm seriously considering converting the post table to innodb, even though that will make it impossible to use mysql's full-text searching.

Searches for common words are unavoidably slow, which causes a situation described in the second set of bullet points here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/table-locking.html