Am I a "good dad?"

skywag

The four identical custom pre-64 .270 Winchester Model 70's were lined up for my son's 21st birthday. He got to select the one he liked best. There is no better feeling than having your son follow in your own footsteps. (But please, avoid some of them!!) Same gunsmith over a 30 year period.

Last edited:

AllenJ

Dad, I knew I'd find you! I'll be right over to pick out my rifle:D

In all seriousness that is truly awesome that you would do that for your son. How old is he?

Archer 9505

Interested in adopting me?

52 y/o retired military, a little beat up around the edges. Open to the idea of adoption.

Very Nice model 70's. The Rifleman's rifle is my favorite. My wife bought me one a few years back for my birthday.

PawPaw

You don't need but three, anyway.

Good on ya, giving your son a rifle. Maybe one of these days he'll give you grandsons and you can pass a few more down. That's what I'm doing right now, making sure all the grandsons have a nice rifle. It feels good to pass 'em along.

About your parenting skills I can't say, but just getting your son into guns, shooting and hunting is gooooood. I was raised poorly overall, but what I regret the most is that I didn't get to do any hunting or shooting as a kid, my dad owned a couple guns, but they went decades in a closet. Kudos sir.

skywag

Thanks for the nice comments.

My father gave me a BB gun before I could cock it. I'd get my mother to cock the thing, run out and fire it, and then run back to mom.

I finally figured out how to use a tree and two hands to cock it. I also learned not to shoot it with the cocking lever out. OUCH!!! Did anyone else ever do that?

Anyway, my son, now 21, has owned a 10/22 for 11 years. As far as I know, has always used it responsibly. (I hope better than I did!!) When he was 13 I gave him a youth 870 and we have had many wonderful days hunting.

He picked the second M70 from the bottom, with the dark swirls in the butt.

I like thinking about keeping more for my grandkids! What a joy to give them to a loved one who will more than likely cherish it for decades. As I did!

Last edited:

Hunter Customs

I would say the young man is very lucky to have you for a dad.
He also has a good eye for beauty.
Good job dad, my hats off to you.

I feel I'm very fortunate, I started my brother, my son, and my oldest granson hunting and they all have guns I've given them.
To me the memories I have are worth much more then the guns they received.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

eldorendo

I never really thought about rewarding one of my sons just because he'd reached a certain age. I did give my oldest son a pristine, 70 Series GC when he graduated college. GC was owned by my father, who died in '81. More recently gave him a G21, so he'd have something better for home defense.

Gave my daughter a G26 when she got into law school; likewise my youngest son, when he got into law school. Built a nice M4 with Daniel Defense barrel, NM RRA trigger, etc., when he passed the bar exam. When/if my youngest ever gets a good gun safe, I'll probably give him the other lnib 70 Series GC that I have in my safe...has only had one mag shot through it.

shooter_john

That's great. My own son is about to become a very lucky 6 year old too. He recently has become super interested in shooting with me, and goes through several Co2 cartridges a week with my airsoft "basement trainer". We recently went to pick him out a .22 pistol for his upcoming birthday. We decided on the Ruger SR-22 with a Crimson Trace Railmaster, but then I spotted something far better on the used wall... A Daniel Defense M4V7, the perfect AR in my opinion. So we agreed that it would be a decent hunting rifle for him, and I will also use it for some mid-range 3 gunning, and so we left with layaway'ing the rifle instead of getting the rifle. Sadly, I'm even more excited than he is.

Fantastic. You are lucky. I have a rather large catch of firearms however my 2 girls and boy who has left the nest years ago haver no interest what so ever in guns. I brought them up with firearms too.

and life goes on...

cookie5

I am 59 years old and have wonderful memories of shooting and learning as a little kid with my dad ,cousins, and uncles etc. and did the exact same with my kids. My son is turning 21 in a couple of months and I am giving him a ccw class for his birthday.