Aluminum frames and rust ?

bk40

Is rust a concern on an aluminum framed pistol such as the Sig P series, given that the anodizing was applied correctly and is undamaged. If the answer is yes under what normal conditions could rust rear its ugly head?

Saw a post at sigforum and it got me to thinking...especially since I just picked up a new 228 :)

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Well, aluminum dosen't rust - but - it does oxidize. I have a 1911 with an aluminum frame that's a bit battered. Never had a problem with any corrosion on the frame, but have had minor specks on the steel parts.

Not a concern in my opinion.

Giz

The only way you would see aluminum "rusting" is if small chips of steel milling tools were left behind in a milled aluminum part.

sw627pc

Aluminum doesn't rust. Under normal conditions it forms an oxide on the surface that seals the metal from further oxidation (assuming bare metal to start with). There are some major exceptions though. From long experience I can tell you that sea water will eat aluminum in a very short time. Bare metal exposed to natural sea water literally falls apart after a very short time. Another area of concern is intergranular corrosion, normally from attacks by some type of chemical agent (acid or base, they both eat AL). This can be very hard to spot as there is usually no outer sign of damage, until the part breaks. A proper anodize job, maintained well offers excellent protection. Anodizing is an electrochemical treatment that becomes part of the surface, not just a coating. It can still scratch though and requires some maintenance. Oddly enough, a very effective surface sealer is plain wax. Johnson's Paste floor wax works well. Just make sure that the wax is pure wax, a lot of automotive waxes include polishing agents (abrasives) that you want to avoid.