Alternatives to 10-22

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I'd like a small semi-auto 22 carbine. I am not considering Remington Viper/597.

Which other current or discontinued .22lr carbines would satisfy the following criterea:
- box magazine, 10 rounds.
- iron sights, grooved receiver or tapped for scope rails.
- no magazine disconnect (current Marlins have it, how about the older models?)
- reliable (that ruled out the Remingtons)

My current contenders are 10/22, Savage (of which I know little) and a variety of older models, mostly unknown to me. Please advise.

Snowdog

reliable (that ruled out the Remingtons)

It's a shame you feel Remington has such a stigma; Personal experience I'm sure. Though my 597 has only seen a bit over 500 rounds, it has yet to do anything but perform flawlessly. Then again, mines a .22WMR.

I can't think of any makes off-hand that fit your criteria. Glenfield/Marlins may come close, but I am uncertain about their magazine capacity.

dZ

the savages look like the fit the bill:
http://www.savagearms.com/rimfire/22lr_series/22lr_home.htm

they are not semi auto, but
give the CZ 452s a serious look
http://www.CZ-usa.com/_p/p04.php

my new semi auto 22lr is gonna be this upper:
22dedicated.JPG

http://www.leitner-wise.com/pages/LW15112.htm
i'm supposed to pick it up 2morrow

it takes 25 round magazines!

Matt Sutton

The T/C Classic would be a contender (no pun intended) if they would ever get the 10 round magazines in production. I just called them and they said late summer now. :(

Remmy

nylons...

Ill throw in a vote for remington too, although the nylons arent the best guns to put scopes on, they are certainly not the worst. (has a removable receiver)
But of the many nylon variants, the10C clip fed nylon would fit you great it sounds like. Basically a 66 with out the tube feed...

My 66 is very reliable, durable, and accurate, at least accurate enough for a fun plinking gun, with open sights out near 100 yds. Only knock on it is that its not made of real wood.
Fun gun. :)

Erich

Gosh, Oleg, I've never heard anyone say the 597s aren't reliable. I've shot thousands and thousands of rounds through mine with no probs, and not much cleaning.

I'll grant you that the Vipers are PsOS. At least the 2 I've shot were.

The one T/C I've seen was nice , but it wasn't cheap.

S&W 24

at your next gunshow look for a mossberg rifle of some sort. I have had 3 of them and they all have been great. They were also made for western field either type should be under $200 for one in exellent shape and I've seen others priced down to $50.

Ledbetter

Surrender to the dark side

Get the 10/22. If you get the T(Target) model with the hammer forged heavy barrel, you can actually make a great shooter out of it. Get a blued one.

A $12 extractor from Volquartsen will make it reliable. A Volquartsen hammer will reduce the awful trigger pull. Bed it yourself, finish it in gloss tung oil and add a leather cheekrest. You're there.

Good luck and best regards,

Ledbetter

MatthewM

See my posting at this thread:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114403
One rifle is very wild and only weights a couple pounds, the other is pretty wild on it's own and is very heavy.
There are two huge reasons to only pick the 10/22. The magazine is one. The other is the huge choice in aftermarket parts. Most of these parts are ONLY available for the 10/22.

I detest the stock looks of the 10/22, that's why I went so extreme in the two I had made.
The magazines are cheap and very handy. If you needed to, you could toss 20 of them in some large coat pockets.

*In all guns, I recommend completely cleaning them out with BreakFree and then some teflon grease on the friction points. It made my 10/22 actions much more slick and my 1911 magazines much easier to load.
If you want beauty, get a Browning "Take-Down". Grade VI or older Belgium hand engraved. I think they are one of the prettiest factory rifles I've ever seen. Great to pass down as an heirloom.

Back to 10/22, you can be wild like mine, or you can even put on a Hogue rubber stock and beat the hell out of it without a worry.

zanthope

I recently bought a Thompson/Center Classic for $300 NIB. It fits all of your criteria above except for the ten round mags, which Matt Sutton mentioned. There's extra five-rounders available at Cheaper Than Dirt for $18.00.

ALL steel..receiver, trigger group...match grade barrel, beautiful walnut, brilliant fiber optic sights, and a purely excellent trigger. And, unlike the 10-22, it's SUPER easy to tear down and clean.

Before I scope it, I want to shoot a thousand rounds or so out of it with open sights at 100 yards, and so far I'm putting them all into the 9 ring or better with Blazers and bad eyes. I've owned four or five bazillion .22's and this is the best one ever.

I bought a used Bushnell Trophy 4-12 X 40 AO scope at the Circleville, Ohio gun show the other day that's going on there soon.

22classicbig.jpg

Anybody have any experience with Magtech rifles? They have some on sale here for 130.00 with scope. I think it is the 7022 model, ten round magazine.