Alternative SKS Sights?

Hi, Im 15 year old who currently owns a Marlin 30-30 and a Mosin Nagant and was hoping to just have a SKS for practicing shooting and just for fun, I dont think standard russian sights are that bad but they could be better but I dont want to scope it since in my opinion its not really worth scoping a SKS. So my question is do you guys have any sites for alternative Iron SKS sights such as a peep sight or maybe a red dot sight?
Thanks in advance, Italian_Marksman94

yep... me too... took my scope off & switched to a set of tech sights after attending an Apple Seed training course...

attachment.php

Mine is thinner than the factory front post ( almost 1/2 as thick...that alone cut down the group sizes after I did several other accurizing projects to the gun )... but the stock front post worked fine with the Tech Sights rear sight for"normal" use... but there are a number of other aftermarket options from cross hair apitures to night sights... IMO, the front sight works just fine for most... but there are tons of other options for your specific type of shooting if you wanted to change it...

HJ857

The target front post that Tech Sights also sells is much better than a stock post. The Tech Sight front and rear is the best upgrade you can do for the SKS.

Inspector3711

You can also look at Williams Firesights and Mojo sights. Tech Sights seem to be the most popular but Williams are cheaper. It depends on your budget.

I went with Williams with it in mind to upgrade someday. My cost was about $35 for front and rear. Williams may not be as nice as the others but it offered a good improvement for the price. The other brands cost more than that for just the rear.

Noonan

I really like the Tech-sights on my SKS. I did have to grind down part of the original rear sight so that I could see the front sight (the Tech-sight sits lower than the original rear sight). You should be aware that you might have to do this. It doesn't affect the operation of the gun, but some folks might not want to take a dremel to their milsurp rifle.

cohoskip

When I installed the Tech Sight, I took the original rear sight off. It's useless anyway after putting on the new rear sight. And, it can always be re-installed if desired...:)

Noonan

I guess I should qualify this. I did remove the rear sight. There is a pin which holds the rear sight in place. Just in front of that pin is a metal surface which comes up from the gas tube at a 45 degree angle. The upper edge of this was blocking the front sight, so I ground it down about a quarter of an inch with a dremel. Not a big deal since my SKS is a Norinco paratrooper with zero collector value.

Last edited:

wnycollector

A nice combo is the tech-sights TS200 Eelevation Adjustable
Aperture Sight and williams fire sight front sight...its expensive ($59 for the ts200 + $24 for the williams front sight).

Wrothgar

What do you guys think is the best way to mount a scope on Cheaper than Dirt? Ignore that they're scamming people on ammo. I want to get one of the tapco stocks and they have a rail mount on them, but they're way forward. A lot of the scope mounts that replace the rear receiver have mixed reviews. Thoughts?

wnycollector

IMOO the rail option on the tapco stock leaves you with only two options:
1. Long eye relief pistol scope OR
2. Red dot

The dust cover mounts with the set screws have the least chance of loosening up...especially if you make a small indentation where the set screw touches the reciever. Keep in mind purists will cringe, but it will keep your scope from a wanderin!

Te Anau

I did have to grind down part of the original rear sight so that I could see the front sight (the Tech-sight sits lower than the original rear sight). You should be aware that you might have to do this. It doesn't affect the operation of the gun, but some folks might not want to take a dremel to their milsurp rifle.
This makes me not want one.Looks like a Firesight for me.

wnycollector

This makes me not want one.Looks like a Firesight for me.

The dremel mod may be required only on some norinco's (generally milled reciever models). If you have any other type of SKS (albanian, yugo, russian etc) the TS100 sight works fine. If you buy the TS200 sight, you DO NOT need to do this mod on ANY sks!