Alternate Powders

ligonierbill

Given the dearth of powders, I have jumped on about everything that had a chance of matching my Alliant Reloder favorites. I should note that I did find Re-15, and Powder Valley briefly had Re-33 (passed) and Re-25 (bought 5#). I am finding good applications for IMR-4955, Alliant 4000-MR, and Ramshot Hunter and Big Game. But I also bought some Winchester StaBall 6.5, and I have yet to find a home for it. What are you folks loading with this?

Shadow9mm

Maybe I am missing something? Are you asking about StaBall 6.5 specifically and wat cartridges its good for? Or are you looking for alternate powders to the ones you were using? If the latter, the cartridges you are using them in would be helpful.

44 AMP

Staff
Look in a reloading manual for the cartridges you are shooting. The powders listed in the data for each one are your primary choices for alternates.

Do note that the manuals do not list every possible suitable powder or every possible suitable load. But look at what they do list and what it does.

If you can find the powders listed in the manuals that give the same APPROXIMATE velocity and pressures as the powders you have, and you can get the ones in the manuals (or some of them) there's your alternates.

Or, at least a good start...

stagpanther

I got some when it first came out and used it in 270 win--as I recall it did burn clean as advertised and yielded excellent velocities and consistency as well. I think it does well in the mid-size cartridges like it.

RC20

I have found some great results of H4198 in my 7.5 Swiss. Its not a listed powder for that caliber it but I have lots of it and worth a try.

ligonierbill

7.5x55 is the reason I'm rationing my Re-17 and looking for replacements. I have nearly 400 rounds of GP11, however, so not loading that one just now.

During the last shortage (remember that?) I acquired a jug of IMR-4320 to replace the then scarce Re-15 that was my go to in .300 Savage. Ironically, it's been discontinued, and I have been able to get Re-15 lately. But my remaining 4320 is doing good duty in a number of rounds, particularly 250-3000.

IMR-4955 Enduron is doing well for me in Re-22 applications, although it's a little faster. Ramshot Big Game seems about as close as I will come to Re-17, not the same, but it looks good in 7x57 and 8x57.

Alliant 4000-MR has been an enigma to me (can't run QuickLoad), but this morning I got some excellent results in 300 H&H. Hunter looks good there too, but I got better accuracy with the Alliant.

Right now the only test I have planned for StaBall is in .416 Rem Mag, and that will be after my next dental appointment to be sure my fillings are secure.

RC20

I have shot R-17, various 4350 and now the 4198 in the 7.5. They all work.

I tend to Varget in the 6.5 but also playing with R-17 and various 4350 powders.

I have a 6.5 CM barrel on the way, I will run out of small rifle primers and have plenty of large rifle. Shame no one makes a 6.5 Lapua case in large rifle.

reynolds357

I use so many rifle powders it is ridiculous. If I could only own one rifle powder, without giving it two seconds thought, it would be Norma MRP.
IMR 4350 would be my second choice.

Of the new powders, Staball 6.5 is very promising. I have a bull barrel .270 Win that will shoot 3/8 minute with Staball. Never found any other load that will consistently make 1/2 minute.
Accurate MagPro delivers some screaming velocities in more over bore stuff. Ramshot Magnum is no slouch either.

std7mag

I recently had the opportunity to buy 5lb of RL17 & RL19.
I jumped on both!
Especially since the RL17 has simular burn rate to 4350 & RL19 to 4831.
The 2 cover a lot of different cartridges.

I use quite a bit of Alliant PP4000MR & PP2000MR.

I have some loads worked out with the PP4000MR in the 284 Win with different weight bullets. Still need to run them over the chrono.

ligonierbill

You lucky dog! I can live without Re-19, but I have yet to replace Re-17. I will get there, but I too will have a ridiculous number of powders.

reynolds357

You lucky dog! I can live without Re-19, but I have yet to replace Re-17. I will get there, but I too will have a ridiculous number of powders.
It almost seems like every rifle has it's powder it likes for it's pet load. I can't keep up now, but there was a time I had every rifle Powder that Hodgdin, IMR, Hercules, Accurate, and Vhitavuri made. Now they make a whole lot more powders than they did then.

cdoc42

I've found checking a relative burn rate chart useful when looking for alternatives to difficult-to-obtain powders. I have 40 powders in my inventory. Some time ago I reviewed a burn rate list of 149 powders and I labeled my inventory to match those relative rates. For example, in the list of 149 powders, Hybrid100V is #121; RE-19 is #123. So my bottles are labeled 121/149 and 123/149. At a glance I can see the relative burns rates of all 40 of my stock.

So, I use RE-25 in my 25-06 with a Sierra 120gr SBT. But I can't locate any RE-25 in my shopping area. In my inventory, RE-25 is 136/149. I have the following options on hand:
IMR7828- 135/149
RE-22- 132/149
H-1000- 140/149

I'll start with IMR 7828 and check my reloading resources to see what charge range I should use to achieve a velocity and pressure compared to RE-25.

If I happen to purchase a powder I do not currently have, nor is it on my list of 149, I'll need to look for an updated burn rate chart that includes the new powder and relabel my entire inventory. But that would be rare since 40 powders certainly meet my needs most often.

ligonierbill

Burn rate charts provide useful but limited information. Depending on the application, a powder's "rank" can change. That's where Quickload and similar apps earn their keep. Even then, of course, testing often surprises. Drives me crazy sometimes, but it's my choice to play this game.