Altering a Beretta decocker?

BrokenPaw

I currently carry a Beretta 96 in condition 2. I used to carry a Taurus PT-92 in condition 2, but I like the Beretta better. The only thing I preferred about the Taurus over the Beretta is that the Taurus' safety lever allowed cocked-and-locked condition 1 carry, if I chose.

The Beretta doesn't allow this; the safety lever automagically decocks the gun. There's no way to carry it cocked and locked.

Can a gunsmith change this?

(Please, no suggestions about how I should go buy a Glock/Sig/1911/Bersa/what-have-you...I love my 96, I just don't like this one aberrant feature).

-BP

Handy

Sir,

The old Beretta and Taurus 92 design had a frame mounted safety only. It is conceivable that a wiley gunsmith could mate the safety parts from the older guns to yours, possibly even keeping the decocker intact. Major alterations and money involved.

Otherwise, you could remove (or grind off) the decock pin that protudes under the slide when in the safety position. This would be a nonpermanent change, as you could insert a new pin if you like. It is also incredibly cheap. Doing it this way would result in cocked and BLOCKED carry, as the trigger would still drop the hammer, but the pistol could not fire. Many older DA pistols had this kind of safety, like the Mauser HSc and HK P9S. It would be perfectly safe, but the ergonomics of reaching the slide safety lever would not be as nice as with the frame safety.

Oh, standard warnings about screwing around with safety features.

I was really expecting your question to be about making the lever work as G does, decock only. Good surprise.

aruid

On my Beretta 92FS if you pull the slide back and engage the safety then slowly ride the slide forward, the hammer will stay back without decocking the pistol and the gun will be very slightly out of battery. You can try this with your gun to see how operating the safety feels without modifying your gun.

ARUID

BrokenPaw

Thanks for both of your replies. I have fairly big hands, so operating the slide-mounted safety lever isn't a problem for me. Now I just need to decide whether the standard warnings about messing with safety devices will deter me from trying what Handy suggests.

Right now, since I'm carrying in condition 2, I have a long DA trigger pull to prevent an unintentional discharge. While the DA pull is long and heavy, I think I like the idea of having to make a deliberate action besides pulling the trigger. If I practice swiping the safety off as I acquire sight picture, I shouldn't be slowing myself down in a self-defense situation. I think.

-BP

Handy

I've always felt simpler is better (DA trigger no safety), but I understand your perspective. There are those who carry the 92 hammer down AND safe. Whatever works.

If that lever is easy to reach, I would think the less invasive second method would be better for you. $10 in parts and your gun would be back to stock. I would remove the parts from the slide before modifying rather than do it in place to make sure it won't tie up the slide internals.