Almost NIB '92 SS 4" Colt Python for $1500?

ajgranda

Hi,

Do you think an almost new (98% condition), low round count, case and owners manual, 1992 build, SS 4" Python is worth $1500? That's what the seller wants and he will include shipping.

Thanks

Pahoo

Does it have it's original wood grips?
You know, these are going for some really crazy prices. My guess is that this is a somewhat on the high side. A couple more years and I would not be surprised if that is what they will all bring. Go to GunBroker and see what kind of activity they are showing. These are getting tough to call ..:eek:

Be Safe !!!

mik34

CT Python

Recently saw a 6" SST Python in CT for $1,200, but, no box and the finish was a bit scuffed.

mes227

Just to bracket the pricing: at the Reno Gun Show 2 weeks ago I had a look at 3 Pythons in stainless, all with original grips. All in great condition. One at $1,000 (private party; no box or extras) sold the first day (and I regret not buying it!). Another at $1,500 (dealer/tax and FFL required) didn't sell by end of day 2 nor did the 3rd which was NIB at $1,700 (included box; not sure of seller's status as I forgot to ask). There were 2 Andaconda's at Cabela's Reno last month, both in great shape and listed at around $950; the Andaconda's tend to sell for a bit less than the Python (though I prefer the bigger bores).

603Country

I had no idea that the Python was going for that kind of money. I bought one for $360 years ago (Nickel, 4 inch bbl, with rubber grips). I have no plans to sell it or the Diamondback 22 LR in nickel with 4 inch bbl (paid $250, I think), but it's good to know the value range. Mine aren't NIB.

bearone2

$360 for a nickel python, you stole it unless you bought it 30+ years ago.

i bought my '68 4" python in sep '71 for $150.

Olympus

I've got a few Pythons and $1500 is a little high for one that new. Those kind of prices are typically seen on 1970s and older guns. But with prices continuing to climb , it will likely just get more expensive next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajgranda

"if that happens to be nickel and you don't see much of a turn line, they're pretty rare".

Thanks, but its stainless not nickel.

savit260

A touch high. If it were new in the box, high polish stainless and unfired I'd say that's about right.

I'd go about $1100 on that one myself. No more.

Standing Wolf

Member in memoriam
Python prices are high and rising, as well as unpredictable. $1,500 for a four-inch stainless model with Pachmayr grips wouldn't be an out of line gun show price, nor would it be an unreasonable asking price in a used gun case.

Is it worth it? Not worth it?

If it's not worth that price to you, it surely will be to someone else, and if the seller is willing to wait awhile—anywhere from ten minutes to ten months—there's someone who'd gladly pay $1,750 for it. Python prices are flexible. They're inflated. They're probably never going to come down, or not by much, anyway.

As shooters, are Pythons really worth the prices they've been commanding the past few years? If you've got the money, yes, they are. Most of them are truly excellent shooters—but only if you can afford them.

At the least, if you take good care of the gun, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid for it. If you hang onto it awhile and take good care of it, you'll come out ahead if you sell it. Here's the genuine 128.342% pure weirdity: within a couple weeks of buying a Python, you're going to want another.

JayCee

It's a good thing I'm not a Python enthusiast, since most of the prices I've seen recently in gun stores, at shows and on Gunbroker are laughable. I think every Python owner has decided his/her gun is a rare treasure, and it seems there are enough gullible buyers out there to keep up the pressure on prices. I'd probably buy it if I could get it for a grand or less, but then again, since I have little interest in Pythons, I'd just turn around and sell it for an inflated amount, and maybe buy another Freedom Arms revolver.

Huskerguy

I was at a gun show this weekend and saw at least 4-5 Pythons of various quality. The range was from just under $1,000 to $1,500. I know at least one had the original box and papers.

It's kind of like I tell my brothers-in-law when we go to gun shows. If it is something I really want and I have the money and have done some research and buy it - it is a good deal for me.

Stainz

I know a young guy who bought a NIB SS Python several years ago and went straight to the range to shoot it. He paid over $1,200 for it - possibly close to it's optimistically marked price of $1,500 - he never said. I was not impressed. I let him shoot my JM PC627 V-Comp... he was impressed, exclaiming, several times, "Dude!". No, I wouldn't trade... although I did eventually sell that gun. My 4" 627 Pro - and that pair of 2 5/8" PC627 UDRs, one bought with the V-Comp's moola, which I bought last year, are 'close enough' to perfection for me. If you want a better trigger, S&W's PC Shop will do a 'master trigger job' for <$200 inc overnite s/h both ways. That leaves you enough from that $1,500 to buy a NIB 642 for the pocket - and some ammo.

Of course, it won't have the allure of a Python... for that, it must be a Python! If you get it, you'll likely love it - and the price paid won't matter. You simply cannot pay 'too much' for a desired, and good, revolver. You can, of course, pay too much for a turkey!

Stainz

Wildalaska

I'm not a Python freak, but since my buddy just bagged a 99% stainless 6" one (no box) for $750, I took him up on his offer to shoot it last weekend just to remind myself of how well they shoot....

Jeez, those revolvers can shoot:D

WildoneholerAlaska ™©2002-2011