Almost my best grouping of all time...almost

Lavid2002

So I was shooting 300 yards today with my savage and I had such a BANGIN group going! It was so good... and then I blew the last shot >: |

Hand for size comparison(My caliper is not at home)
IMGP1122.jpg

I blew the last shot.... pretty bad

This is why 5 shot groups mean more than 3 shot groups. This could have been a sub 1" group at 300 yards :p

Lavid2002

But thinking about how potentially good it could have been had I not thrown that last shot give me incentive to go to the range sometime again this week :D

Conditions today were perfect. Zero wind, no humidity, but very very hot temperatures. Got over 100... The range officer said 104

javabum

In hunting terms that group equals a nice rack on the wall.....
As for the last shot.....Some times we all pull one once in a while.

been working on 300 yards myself right now, but it seems like it's been windy every day... that would have been an awesome group, if you could have tightened up that last shot ( still pretty good shooting for 300 yards )

what were you shooting... rifle / scope / caliber ???

thesheepdog

It's a common thing to get a flyer on the last shot. Especially with semi-auto rifles that lock the bolt open on the last shot (due to no forward motion, and slightly increased recoil)

Lavid2002

Thanks fellas

I hear that happens a lot with the last shot. We sort of "wish it in", and it doesn't grant the wish!
I think thats what it was... I was too excited about the group I should have taken a break for a few breaths to relax before taking the last shot.

Telgriff

Nice stuff!

I get similar with my last shots aswell, you end up psyching yourself out more often than not!

Wish Savage rifles were cheaper here! 2 grand is a rip off :(

Headgear

That's what keeps you going back. Great shooting!

I did the same thing golfing last week. I had a 72 standing on the 18th tee. A bird would have given me my best round ever. Par would have matched my best. I hit a bogey. Choke!!!

With heat like that, I don't know how you kept the sweat out of your eyes long enough to shoot! I'll bet you'll put that last one in there next time. I'm rooting for ya!

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
We all do it. You never forget it either. Shooting rapid fire prone at 300 yards with the M1 at a match I had a 9 shot group you could cover with a coffee cup and one lonely shot out in the 8 ring all by itself high left. Cost me that match by one point and I have second guessed that shot for 36 years.

I am almost over it...almost...well maybe not.

Like other posters said that would have been a deer in the crock pot. You won't get that many shots anyway so you will leave the bad one in the gun.

Lavid2002

^ Wow... Why do you think you threw that last shot?

Yeah it would be a dead deer, but if I had those standards I would have stopped competitive shooting a long time ago :p