Alloy frame 1911s

327 FM

Should there be any concern about shooting an alloy frame 1911 long term with 230 grain hardball/cast at 800 fps?

Thanks for your input.

Rangerrich99

Having shot more than 5,000 rds (mixture of FMJ/cast RN) through my two alloy frame 1911s the answer seems to be. . . no worries.

RickB

I'd generally be more concerned about the condition of the frame feedramp, than a crack, if the latter is what you're referring to.
With hardball or other round nosed bullets, should be no issues, but if you ever shoot JHPs, some of them can be very hard on the frame.
In my experience, Winchester Silvertips were about as "gentle" a hollowpoint as could be found, but I now shoot Critical Defense in my Commander, because the plastic tip protects the frame.

KyJim

I like and recommend an alloy framed 1911 for carry. I would suggest one with a ramped (steel) barrel or a steel insert to prevent beating up the feed ramp

Brit

I carried one for a while, my IPSC reloads of an SWC 200g cast Hensley and Gibbs did crack the frame in the end, drilling a wee hole at the start of the crack fixed it.
Stainless Steel McCormick 8 round magazines made a 9 round package, good looking gun, polished frame. Did not shoot it in matches.

Forte S+W

The only issue I've ever heard about shooting a lot of rounds out of alloy-frame 1911s is flat-nose/JHP bullets boogering up the feedramp, but only on models that don't have a feedramp built into the barrel itself or otherwise have the feedramp made of steel or titanum.

That being said, most alloy-frame 1911s have a steel/titanium-reinforced feedramp these days.

Jim Watson

Skeeter Skelton shot a .45 Commander until it cracked, not quite 5000 rounds.
But I have been shooting a Springfield Lightweight 9mm (semi-custom) a lot more than that with no damage.

totaldla

But even when a crack appears, the pistol is still shootable. I've never seen a 1911 quit working because of a crack.

rodfac

I've had no trouble with a Colt Commander Series 70 .45 with an estimated 5000+ rounds through it; nor with a Sig 1911 RCS, also in .45. This 2nd gun is my carry piece when I go to the big city...2000 rounds plus through it to date. No worries with either. I carry with 230 HST's in the mag, but practice with 230 FMJ Hardball or 200 gr LSWC's. Both loaded to ~800 fps.

Rod

Last edited:

buckey

Not to Hi-jack the Thread but what 1911 Commanders have steel inserts or ramped barrels for the poster to choose from?

Jim Watson

Ruger Commanderoid has a titanium feed ramp insert.
SA RO Champion has an integral ramp barrel.
Other brands are left as an exercise for the student.

Jim Watson said:
Ruger Commanderoid has a titanium feed ramp insert.
SA RO Champion has an integral ramp barrel.
Other brands are left as an exercise for the student.
ALL Para-Ordnance and ParaUSA 1911s had ramped barrels. Armscor (Rock Island) has gone back and forth with ramped barrels in their 9mm 1911s (but I don't think they offer any alloy 1911 pistols).

Forte S+W said:
That being said, most alloy-frame 1911s have a steel/titanium-reinforced feedramp these days.
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say "most."

RickB

I was discussing this topic - alloy framed 1911s - with a guy, a gunwriter, who said a Colt rep told him that a customer survey indicated the average number of rounds put through Colt Lightweight Commanders, in the owner's lifetime, is (I guessed 1000 rounds) . . . 13 rounds.

KyJim

ot to Hi-jack the Thread but what 1911 Commanders have steel inserts or ramped barrels for the poster to choose from?
All of the Dan Wesson alloy models have ramped barrels. On the very high end, Ed Brown uses a steel insert.

44 AMP

Staff
Should there be any concern about shooting an alloy frame 1911 long term with 230 grain hardball/cast at 800 fps?

there SHOULDN'T be any concern, but since "alloy" covers everything from pot metal crap to high quality stuff, no one can really say, without knowing specifically what you are using.

AgedWarrior

My SA RO Compact has run plenty of 230 fmj or lead a lot over the last few years, and no small number of hollow points with absolutely no issue! This does have a ramped barrel.

mulespurs

Just my experience

My Kimber 1911 CDP ii 5 inch alloy frame.

Has well over 10,00 rounds through it by counting primers.

Almost all reloads and cast boolits. Some with 5 gr red dot. Some with Blu Dot.

No frame problems.

2 foot by 3 foot steel target at 150 yards, will hit it every time if I do my part