ALLIANT POWER PRO 300 MP, Who likes it?

Cascade1911

Just came across it. Have never used it. According to Alliant it leaps tall building in a single bound. My main magnum powder has been 2400, primarily .357 magnum but also some .44 magnum. I've also used W296 but for me I seem to get more recoil and I believe more pressure (cases split sooner, harder extraction) for the same muzzle velocity.

So how many of you use this stuff, for what and what are your opinions?

rclark

Get the lastest handloader magazine.... A good article in there on the powder.

I don't use it, so no comment.

Para Cassatt

I haven't used much of it yet but if you go to Alliant's site you'll see that the awesome 357 numbers were acheived with a 10" barrel. I am thinking it will prove to be a terrific powder for TC's handguns, 22 Hornets & similar small rifle cartridges and pistol caliber carbines. Time will tell.

joneb

I hear it meters like baby powder so if you can get it in the case it does pretty well.
I will wait and see on this one.

FrankenMauser

I have been meaning to try some, but have only seen it ONCE. ...and I couldn't justify the expense, that one time. :rolleyes:

I believe Sevens uses it, and there have been several Handloader articles on it.

abber

I have shot only 200 rounds using this powder so far. I love it, though. Quite powerful, nice report, and good accuracy. Not economical, but if you want power, try it out.

Cascade1911

Not economical, but if you want power, try it out

Thanks Abber,

I don't know what it's going for in the LGS but Powder Valley is charging the same price as 2400. Load data looks like they are calling for about 20% more powder but with increased power. for range/ plinking I use Bullseye and W231. I look to 2400 for power so it certainly looks interesting. What it does in a 4" barrel revolver is another story of course.

Last edited: