All year round carry gun

fivepaknh

I think I found a gun I can carry all year long. Due to changing attire I usually carry a Kahr K9 9mm in the summer, but switch to a full sized 1911 in the winter, a Tauru PT1911. I believe in carrying the biggest caliber you can for slef defense.

Yesterday I bought a Sig 229 .40S&W. It's right in between in gun size and caliber size of the 2 guns I'm used to carrying. With a capacity of 12+1 it holds more rounds than my other carry guns. Now I just have to get to the range to see how well I shoot it. If that goes well my other carry guns are likely to gather dust from now on.

Any other Sig 229 owners out there that can offer their input on this gun?

Sig229.jpg

Last edited:

roadrash

If it works for ya,for me its way to big for summer CC ,nice pistol though!

A Glock 26 is my year round beater,even then,I have to downsize to a J frame now and then.

varoadking

Any other Sig 229 owners out there that can offer their input on this gun?

I have several P229's, and they are huge compared to my year-round carry - a PM9...

Different strokes...I for one would not be comfortable carrying a duty-type gun in a concealed mode...

tblt44

I carry my LCP mostly,I can hide it any time of year.I know its a minimum caliber but I carry it all the time.I still pack my J frame and now my CW9 along with my LCP from time to time

Ben

The most important thing in carrying a larger weapon is the holster and belt that you select. But, it can be done quite easily. For IWB, you may need to step up a size in pants though. Most likely, you'll need to step up some day anyways.

Ben

MTS840

I think I found a gun I can carry all year long.

Excellent choice. If you can hide it and shoot it well, then it's perfect for you. It's good to stick to one gun or at least one mode of operation if it's possible.

I think the Sig will serve you well.

oldkim

Sig P229

Great choice. I'm biased.

Another great forum that you should look into is the sigforum.com

You'll see a lot of post on the P229.

Another nice feature of this choice, especially in the 40S&W is that you can change out the barrel for a 357Sig and now you can shoot a totally new caliber in the same gun. Slide, frame and magazines all work.

Everyone has their personal preference on what's too big or small to carry. I don't think the Sig P229 is too big. Well, this is from a guy that also carry's a Sig P220 (45ACP) and a 1911. Yes, it's more difficult to conceal but if you do it right and accept it's more weight/size. :)

Jiml3

For winter carry, I agree. My choice for spring & fall is my cz pcr.
Hot summer days I like the Kahr pm9.
Whatever works for you is the way to go.

Jiml3

fivepaknh

I didn't know about the .357 Sig option. Thanks.

I usually wear loose t-shirts. So concealment in the summer shouldn't be much of a problem. There may be times when the Kahr K9 will still be my best bet.

hoytinak

I could get away with carrying the HK P2000SK all year round as I carry it IWB with pants/shorts and a t-shirt 99% of the time but sometimes I just don't wanna put it on and in that case I'll just drop the LCP in the pocket.

pichon

I for one would not be comfortable carrying a duty-type gun in a concealed mode...
I don't have any problem carrying my .45 xd service model around iwb, summer or winter. The most important consideration for me is how good it feels in my hands. I had a sub-compact .40 but hated the short grip so I had to sell it.

keys85

My full size 1911a-1 Springer conceals better in the summer under a T-shirt better than anything else I own. I just don't prefer the summer heat to cause me to sweat on my baby, in which cause I grow some luv handles and pack a glock.

NWCP

I carry either a HK P7PSP, or HK USP 40 in the winter and my Kahr PM9 in the summer. I can't dress heavy enough to conceal one of my full size pistols year round.