All-Weather Rifle Suggestions

SPEMack618

I'm looking for suggestions on an all-weather (stainless barrel/action and composite stock) bolt action rifle in .30-06 Gov't.

I'm looking to spend $500(not including optics) or so on said rifle.

Primary use will be hunting.

AllenJ

Also look at the Savage 116. I picked one up this time last year on sale in 6.5-284 and I'm happy with it, for it's price it is a decent and very accurate rifle. I use it as my backup out of state rifle and let my youngest son use it while deer hunting.

redrick

In your price range Ruger American All Weather or for just a little more TC Venture Weather Shield .

jmr40

I don't know of any SS rifles at $500 or less that I'd recommend. You might find a Ruger American for that or close to it. I don't think you will find a Rem 700, Tikka or Savage in SS at $500 new. Maybe a used one which is an option with a lot of good rifles.

If you want a wet weather rifle on a budget worry less about the metal and make sure it has a synthetic stock. With a decent coat of oil or other protective finish the metal won't be significantly hurt. The worst that will happen is some surface rust that will come off if not neglected. Any real damage caused by water can be traced to neglect and even a SS rifle will suffer if neglected. SS does allow you more time before issues develop, but will still rust.

A wood stock no matter how well protected can go from perfect to useless within a very short time with no warning.

SPEMack618

Upon further study (including a very disappointing gun show visit today), I've decided to go with the Ruger All Weather Hawkeye.

$552 from Buds, so a bit above what I was looking to spend but not terrible.

Probably going to go with a Leoupold 3x9 Rifleman scope on the Ruger factory mounts.

Crankylove

I've decided to go with the Ruger All Weather Hawkeye.

$552 from Buds, so a bit above what I was looking to spend but not terrible.

Probably going to go with a Leoupold 3x9 Rifleman scope on the Ruger factory mounts.

I've got the same rifle in .358 Winchester..........and the same scope and mounts.

Been a great rifle, it's been on many elk and antelope hunts, and I've never had a single complaint about the rifle or scope.

Dranrab

You are going to love that Hawkeye. The trigger on my Hawkeye is the best hunting trigger I have ever used. FWIW Leupold has a $50 rebate on their VX1 scopes right now. A 3-9x40 is an ideal hunting scope for that fine hunting rifle.

603Country

I also have a Hawkeye in stainless, and I like it a lot. The trigger was the one thing that I thought needed a change, so I took it to a gunsmith and told him I wanted a lighter trigger pull. He said "have some coffee", and he changed out the spring for a lighter one before I got halfway through the coffee. It was so easy.

I even like the synthetic stock, which some people grump about.

NHSHOOTER

I too have a hawkeye in 243 stainless and I changed the trigger to a timney, shoots under 1" groups all day long, has a nice laminated stock, just about everyone that sees it comments on it or offers to buy it, I topped it off with a leupold 3-9x50..

No ambition to snuff out this thread and other response's on purpose . "But you did ask."

Buy American. To many dandy rifles made here in the US to even bother with buying one off shore made or owned.
All weather rifle? Reminds me of All Weather tires for some reason.:eek:
Any rifle will weather and lose reliability when its owner doesn't do his part in maintaining.
As for which? _Surely that's a personal preference. Those American made brands & models I like may not appeal to your liking OP.

Giving you an idea what I actually own: Got one foreign spendy bolt safe queen seldom fired or handled. One Ruger wall hanger with a shot out barrel. (243 flat bolt ) The rest are Remington's. <My Working Rifles I like to call em.

BigBL87

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I was going to suggest a Savage Axis II SS, based on my experience with the Savage Mark II and your budget.

I've been waffling on picking up a .308/.30-06 myself. It's the one gaping hole in my collection, but I have no reason for owning one really. You can't hunt deer with anything but a muzzle loader or shotgun here in IL, and I have my AR for coyote and anything else that might come along.

SPEMack618

Thanks for all the input guys. Once I get said gun at my local FFL, get scope (which will take a bit; gonna wait another pay period), get to the range, and get the gun dialed in, I'll let everyone know how it shoots.

Thanks for the input guys!