all laser rangefinding scopes = same?

Norrick

I was looking at pics and I could swear they all looked like the same darn scope.

Here's a pic of the Nikon Laser IRT
nikon-laser-irt.gif

and of the Burris Eliminator
Eliminator_Laserscope2.jpg

look at the brand name placement, the little button on the side (presumably to activate rangefinding), and the magnification ring. All look the same. The housing of the two scopes is the same as well.

Now look at this Bushnell Yardage Pro
IMG_20090225_0130_BushnellYardagePro.JPG

I couldn't find an image of this scope from the left side, but the housing of the scope looks to be exactly the same as well, with a minor difference in the magnification ring. You can see the same compartment on all three scopes on top where I am guessing the batteries go (hardest to see on the Nikon image). All three scopes are also only offered in 4-12x42mm

What is the deal? Usually when you see stuff like this happening its some rebranded imported junk that a half dozen other companies sell with a different logo. I suppose they could buy a blank and put in their own reticle and perhaps even glass, but it seems cheap to me.

The only laser rangefinding scope that looked differentwas Zeiss' diarange:
Diarange_800.jpg

*note that the Diarange is offered in 2.5-10x50mm and 3-12x56mm.

Kudos to Zeiss for designing their own product from the start (unless I stand corrected). If I were in the market for one of these I'd go for this one on that principle alone.