All guns are loaded? Vendor shoots customer

BarryLee

Someone loaded the gun while he was busy? Maybe. Either way it underscores the importance of checking a gun each time you pick it up.

Glenn E. Meyer

The idea that in a show, some customer stood there and loaded a gun and put is back down - Occam's laser sight suggests that he just screwed up.

Ruger480

I'm glad the lady wasn't seriuosly hurt. That could have ended much worse. But I'm curious about the situation.
First, what caliber was she shot with?
What kind of bullet was it? And do you think someone intentionally loaded this guys gun when he wasn't looking? I'm not excusing his lack of safety habits but the conspiracy theorist in me wonders.

Ruger480

I usually try to look through "Occam's laser sight" which is why I don't think it was just some customer. I'm wondering if it wasn't someone with nefarious intentions.

kilimanjaro

Someone else loading a pistol on a vendors table makes good conspiracy theory, but doesn't make sense. No guarantee the vendor or customer would not discover it was loaded, or wouldn't be caught loading it, and even less guarantee the pistol would be fired, and much less anyone would be hit.

The simplest and obvious answer is: the vendor goofed up big time. Hope he's insured, but I'll bet the underwriter tells him "You are at fault, you pay up."

45Gunner

Always assume every gun is loaded, even if you checked it, put it down, and then pick it up again.

As a Firearms instructor, I hammer that point home to my students. And during classroom demo's do exactly that. If I pick up a gun to illustrate something, it is checked and then verified. Once that gun gets put down, even when it remains in my field of vision all the time, it gets checked and verified if it gets picked up again.

There is no such thing as being too safe when it comes to gun.

What I wonder in this incident is how the gun fired. Is it not another rule never to put one's finger on the trigger until ready to fire? A perfect illustration that when safety rules are broken, trouble breaks out.

Ruger480

but doesn't make sense. No guarantee the vendor or customer would not discover it was loaded, or wouldn't be caught loading it, and even less guarantee the pistol would be fired, and much less anyone would be hit.

Good answer. Completely shuts down any conspiracy theory I had.

Someone else loading a pistol on a vendors table makes good conspiracy theory, but doesn't make sense.
It's a downright loathsome attempt at avoiding culpability. He screwed up, and somebody got hurt. The simplest answer is usually the right one in these cases.

It's easy to put the pieces together from the article. Hawk pulled out his LCP and was showing off one of those wallet holsters with the exposed trigger guard. He stuck his finger in the trigger guard to demonstrate how easy it is to use, and he had an ND. No conspiracy, no shadowy man on the grassy knoll.

Those stupid holsters are all the rage at gun shows around here, and they appeal to inexperienced shooters.