All Day In The Blind Paid Off

ryalred

It had been awhile since I had killed a decent buck and I was determined to get one this year. However, I wasn't putting in the time, I knew I needed to to get a good deer--a third of archery season nearly gone and I had hunted only twice.

On opening day of Primitive Arms Season here in Oklahoma, I spent all day in my new ground blind location. It had been raining off and on all day (good thing I was in the tent blind). I had seen 10 does and two bucks (non-shooters) and time was running out. I was beginning to gather things up in the blind when I scanned the area again, and caught a glimpse of this one coming. He was taking his time and I was running out of time (daylight time) and he wasn't in range. I had been practicing quite a bit with my muzzle loader and I had determined that I wouldn't shoot at anything past 150 yards.

I turned my scope down to 3x for better visibility and he finally came into comfortable range for my Traditions in-line 45 caliber. Using a broom stick I had left in the blind as a rest, I made the shot. Of course the smoke just boiled and I couldn't see a thing. When the smoke finally cleared, all I could see was the tall grass where he had been standing. I felt like it was a good shot, but you never know for sure until you see them on the ground.

I dug my gutting knife and flashlight (it was getting dark quick) out of my backpack. It wasn't until I got about half way to him that I saw the tip of his antlers and then the white of his belly. I had stepped it off as I went--123 yard--and he had fallen where he stood. He field dressed 146 lbs (the third largest I have ever killed) and his rack was the second best I'd ever taken.

doublecroppedbrighterbestviewside.jpg

deerinfrontrotatedcroppedbrightened.jpg

Great story, great buck, great pictures.........way to go!

Congrats all the way around! I'm sick with jealousy:barf:

slammedsi

Great buck. Watched several under the feeder here in Far North Texas (Right on the Red River). It made me sick as season dosent start here till the 6th. And 3 of the bucks were really good shooters.