Alaskan Range Report

shoots awe lots

Hot 45lc 2inch group 50yds (luck)
454-300gr hornady 1650fps muzzle hit pie plate 50yds

Recoil 45lc like a hot 357
Recoil 454 like a full load 44mag

The gun function flawlessly and the recoil is vertually painless with the hogue grips that come on it. Ruger has done it again with building a mini tank, gun is well balanced and easily controlled with short barrell for a gun weighing in over 40oz. I have to load up some different 45lc,s for it to see what it likes and shoots the best. What I did shoot seemed to be poa. I don,t think you would want to take 100rds of 454 and dial them thru in one session, even though recoil is painless doesn,t mean it isn,t work( whole lot of charge going off).Will post again when get more info and shoot some different loads thru her. :eek:

tjhands

Wow, I would have thought the .454 would have a LOT more recoil than a .44 Magnum. I think I heard that it's 40% more recoil, plus, in such a short-barrelled gun, I would expect it to feel even worse!

JRLaws

Which .45 Colts did you use?

I've wanted on of these, in 480 even, since Ruger announced them. I was thinking that some "warm" .45 LCs would be perfect for protection, but was curious if recoil prevents quick and accurate follow-up shots?

Thanks,
JRLaws.

RWK

JRLaws . . .

. . . me too; I believe a top-rated .45 Colt JHP would be provide very potent defense in a Ruger SRH Alaskan.

shoots awe lots

My buddy gave them to me, he had loaded them up for his wife to go deer hunting with her rifle. He could,mt remember what he had loaded, but thinks around 240 grain and probably equal to hot 44mag. I got the 454-45lc because of different loads could load up . I don,t think you are gonna get fast 2nd shots out of 454 or 480. The recoil is ok but like any hand gun with that much load it moves. The 45lc is like a 357 in that gun.

NRAhab

I honestly had no idea what the "Alaskan" was, so I went to the Ruger website. I now must own one of these, although I cannot for the life of me think of a reason why I would need one in Indiana.

However, I feel that through the might of faith, I can convince my wife that this is indeed "necessary".

Next question is did you try any .45 Colt cowboy loads? Knowing that they're rather mild out of my Vaquero makes me wonder how mild they'd be out of the Alaskan for plinking purposes.