Alaskan Group Asks for Permission to Kill Wolf Pups

Martyn4802

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,324106,00.html

Alaskan Group Asks for Permission to Kill Wolf Pups
Saturday, January 19, 2008

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Residents along the Kuskokwim River want state game managers to allow them to kill wolf pups in their dens.

Wolf numbers seem to be rising in the wilderness around Aniak, McGrath and other villages, and the task once carried out by young Native men should be employed again to help moose populations recover, said Greg Roczicka, natural resources director with Orutsaramuit Native Council in Bethel.

The tribal government and a Fish and Game advisory committee along the central Kuskokwim River have submitted separate proposals asking the Board of Game to overturn regulations outlawing the practice.

The Game Board is scheduled to consider the proposals at upcoming meetings later this month and in February.

At least one group plans to speak against the idea.

"We're fervently opposed to it," said John Toppenberg, director with Alaska Wildlife Alliance. "It's been illegal in Alaska for a long time and deservedly so. It's a Stone Age concept of wildlife management and has no place as a management tool for civilized people. It's just barbaric."

The tribal council and advisory panel also want the board to let hunters kill bear cubs in dens. Along with wolves, bears are blamed for low moose numbers around central Kuskokwim villages, said Doug Carney of Sleetmute, former chairman of Central Kuskokwim Advisory Committee.

Last year's poor aerial wolf-kill and trapping season in Game Unit 19A, located around Aniak, is factoring into concerns that wolf numbers are rebounding, he said. Aerial gunners and trappers killed 10 wolves last winter and spring, compared to more than 70 in each of the two previous years, because a lack of snow made tracking and spotting wolves difficult, he said.

This winter, people are seeing wolves more often than in the past two years, and trappers are finding more wolf tracks, said Carney, a trapper.

Roczicka said pup killing is necessary because the central Kuskokwim region once teemed with moose, consistently providing subsistence meat for hunters from Bethel and villages. Because moose numbers have plummeted in the last five years, subsistence hunting has been eliminated or sharply reduced, he said.

"It was the best moose habitat in the country and it's almost totally gone now," he said. "We want to do everything we can to get moose numbers up back to the way they were."

Reviving the practice will allow predator management to continue if the state's aerial wolf-kill program ends, said Roczikca. Efforts to stop it include a citizen's initiative to appear on the state ballot in August.

Many of the Yup'ik hunters who once controlled wolves in Western Alaska have died, but their stories have passed down, Roczicka said. People who are still alive today often share those stories, including members of Orutsararmuit, Roczicka said.

The group's seven-member council asked Roczicka in the fall to submit the Game Board proposal, he said. The old practice is referenced in a 1997 report by the National Academy of Sciences called "Wolves, Bears and their Prey in Alaska."

According to the report, Athabascans in the Interior controlled wolf numbers to protect caribou and moose by keeping track of wolf dens in hunting areas and systematically killing pups.

Other methods of wolf control that are no longer practiced — and are not requested in the proposal — include wiping an animal's blood on knives or sharp rocks, he said. Wolves cut themselves as they licked away the blood, bleeding to death through their mouths.

Also, some trappers would coil sharpened baleen or willow sticks into taut wads, cover them with fat and freeze the device, he said. Once gobbled by wolves, the wads would open, piercing stomachs and killing the animal, he said.

Game Board chairman Cliff Judkins said the pup-killing proposal is worth discussing.

"It certainly has merit if it's effective and is done by Native and Eskimo people," he said.

"They certainly know where the dens are at and they're not interested in wiping out wolf populations any more than we are."

If the Game Board doesn't pass Orutsararmuit's proposal at its meeting beginning Jan. 25, the central Kuskokwim Advisory committee wants its proposals passed at the Game Board's next meeting beginning Feb. 29.

The proposals only apply to Game Management Unit 19, surrounding Aniak and McGrath.

copenhagen

I had a pet wolf when I was a boy. His name was Silver. He lived to be about 12, and then one day he didn't get home because he was shot by somebody who was wolf paranoid. I for one love wolves. I definately do not advocate killing the pups as in my humble opinion, if you get them before their eyes open, they make great pets, and talk about a helluva hunting dog! I bottle fed Silver until he could eat, and he slept indoors at the foot of my bed. He loved to go hunting too- he'd point, and then retrieve after the shot. By the way, he's still in our home- he's stuffed and keeps vigil on the picture window over looking the mountains.

Wildalaska

The pet on the bed is different than the animal in the wild.

What Stevelyn said, +1.

What goes on the the Bush, stays in the Bush :)

WilddifferentworldouthereAlaska TM

CraigC

It's unfortunate that the idiots who work to have wolves reintroduced don't have to live with them. They just force their idealistic reality on those who do. As if farmers and ranchers didn't already have an uphill battle.

Wildalaska

It's unfortunate that the idiots who work to have wolves reintroduced don't have to live with them. They just force their idealistic reality on those who do. As if farmers and ranchers didn't already have an uphill battle.

I assume that you are referring to someplace else, as in Alaska, the wolves have always been here and there ain't no farms and ranches :)

Except they try down in Kodiak once in a while but the bears eat the cattle :eek:

WildtheyhaveoysterfarmsAlaska TM

Curtis(USAF)

Seems a shame that they have to propose something like this.

If its necessary, its necessary. No need to draw emotions and PETA into it. But I'd prefer to see the hunting of adult wolves. Free up the laws concerning the hunting of adult wolves, do some creative advertising, and see if it ain't possible to bring in some hunters and guides. I for one would love the opportunity to go up north and hunt wolves. I'm sure it would be cheaper and safer then going all the way to Africa to hunt lions or other big cats. And it would certainly be a memorable experience.

farmer-dave

I always thought wolves chose weak or sick animals to kill, their must be a huge population of them if their really thinning the numbers. I personally think nature has a way of balancing itself for the most part but then I'm a village idiot and don't know the situation first hand.

MrAnteater

I don't know about in Alaska, but wolves and coyotes are problems for ranchers and their livestock.

People have become way over emotional when it comes to animals. Predator animals are definitely a problem in parts of the country and need to be controlled.

Mainah

Wolves should never be pets. But those of us the the lower 48 need to learn how to coexist with predators.

CraigC

Wolves should never be pets. But those of us the the lower 48 need to learn how to coexist with predators.

Let us know how that works out for ya.

I assume that you are referring to someplace else, as in Alaska, the wolves have always been here and there ain't no farms and ranches

A brain fart on my part.

Mainah

Let us know how that works out for ya.

I'd love to, but there aren't any wolves or cougars left anywhere around here. Of course we've got a ton of coyotes, and ask anyone, that's worked real well.

Manedwolf

I'd love to, but there aren't any wolves or cougars left anywhere around here. Of course we've got a ton of coyotes, and ask anyone, that's worked real well.

Wolves are shy of humans, coyotes aren't. (if you even see a wolf in the wild, you're lucky. They see you, but tend to keep away.) Wolves prefer to bring down large animals in a pack, coyotes are opportunistic predators who will kill housepets.

Wolves used to control the coyote population as a competing predator. No wolves, no limits on coyote population. Wolves don't go into suburbs and cause problems. Coyotes do.

So, due to the wants of a few people with their hordes of bloated bovine grassmunching gasbags, you've got coyotes eating your housepets. Enjoy!

CraigC

So, due to the wants of a few people with their hordes of bloated bovine grassmunching gasbags, you've got coyotes eating your housepets.

Where would you prefer to get your beef from? China??? The "wants" of a few are actually the needs of the many. If you want to know where the predators are that displaced the wolves, cougars and bears, look in the mirror. We are not aliens. We belong here and like it or not, we are part of the food chain.

What's next, reintroduce wild indians to the midwest prairies???

Apple a Day

Too many wolves and too few moose?
Start eating the wolves. Eat the tree-huggers. Problem solved.
The wolf/moose ration will even itself out eventually.

jakeswensonmt

As if farmers and ranchers didn't already have an uphill battle.
Why is it that cattlemen think that the entire outdoors exists solely for their personal use and profit? Makes me want to puke when some rancher using public lands gripes and FWP kills half a pack indiscriminately.

You are correct Manedwolf, there are wolves within a few miles of my front door, never seen more of them than footprints. Also wolves are the only predator that keep mountain lions in check. If you got wolves, you don't have lots of mountain lions. Wolves won't kill your children, mountain lions will.

Wolves are beautiful and powerful, and we'll all be sorry (except the cattlemen) when they're gone.

CraigC

Why is it that cattlemen think that the entire outdoors exists solely for their personal use and profit?

I'll ask again, where would you like your beef to come from and how much would you like to pay for it?

There's a lot of beef raised in this area and ranchers graze their own land. For the man that's lived paycheck to paycheck and raised cattle his whole life, one lost calf is a big deal. Especially the year they raise property taxes. Ain't a whole lot of John Chisums strutting around town.

How cold blooded do you have to be to kill a puppy?

How many animals have you lost to predators?

Buzzcook

I'd like to see some supporting data that makes this an attractive alternative to select harvesting of adults.

I'd also like to see some indication that wolf predation is directly or solely responsible for the decline in the moose population.

Are there other causes for the decline in the moose population that can be addressed as well as or instead of controlling the wolf population?

Are there other alternative for increasing the moose population such as feeding stations?

Has anyone not seen or read "Never Cry Wolf"?

Wolves feed on all sorts of animals. Is there a noticeably drop in other animal populations as well?

The article raises more questions than it answers.