Alaskan Grizzlies Kill Driller

thallub

A female grizzly and her cubs killed a 18 year old Oklahoma driller.

Anthony David Montoya, 18, a contract worker from Hollis, Oklahoma, died at a remote drill site accessible only by helicopter on Monday, authorities said.

State Troopers said Montoya, who worked for Idaho-based Timberline Drilling, had been working at a drill site on the edge of the Hecla Greens Creek Mine property in southeastern Alaska when he was attacked.

He was mauled by the three bears, all of which were killed before they arrived.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...copter/ar-BBNPDmH?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

Dano4734

I just got back from Alaska a week or so ago, those things are monsters. They scare the stuffings out of me. They were all over the meadows I was hunting on. Luckily we all kept our distance

Dano4734

I had bear spray, my 454 casull and my 45-70 rifle still didn’t want to tangle with the Ford truck size bear with claws and teeth

Mobuck

Not the first time such an attack has occurred. Remote areas, people busy with a task, lack of overwatch, and hungry predators all add up to someone getting chomped.

Erno86

My condolences to all those involved. But I would rank the victim's job as one of the world's top ten most dangerous jobs.

Don Fischer

I think the best thing with a dog is it will attract the bear till you can get to a rifle. I have read to many storied about the domestic dog that bring's the predator right to you when it happen's on one. I think my Stormy would do that. Out hunting and stranger's come he let's me know right away. He quit's the hunt and runs to me then get's a bit off from me and barks and watch's them closely. I don't think I'd care for him to do that with a large predator!

Everything I hear I suspect bear spray is a good idea even though some are pretty negative on it. I'd prefer a rifle, I'm pretty sure what I can do with it.

Mainah

He wasn't laying his own traps, I also wonder why his employer didn't provide an extra set of eyes considering the number of brown bears in the area.

Mobuck

According to a report I read, the attack occurred near but out of sight of a "group of people" at a noisy work site. This doesn't sound like a sow protecting cubs. It sounds like a family group preying on a human.
Since the bears had already been dispatched prior to the arrival of SHP officers, obviously, firearms were not far away.

bamaranger

shame

Darn shame, young kid, likely able to work circles around all of us...just 18.

Bet that outfit ups its security, but too late for him.

I'm no bear expert, and never been to AK, but I'd think that far north, griz would be close to denning. Likely depend on how far north, and available food supply, but sooner rather then later. Darn shame and bad luck.

spacemanspiff

As for denning, still a ways from that. Month or so, and yeah, that depends on where in the state. If its not freezing yet or theres no snow on the ground, the bears will continue to feed.

I blame the young mans employer. Alaska's frontier? I supect the field employee's weren't instructed about the many dangers when working there.