Alaska Seasons

kaylorinhi

Good Evening All,

My loving Wifey4Lifey got us tickets to Alaska to see her Family from Mid-late Nov. As far as I can tell nothing is in season is that correct am I mistaken. I hear even the bears go in doors during the winter and that only people are goofy enough to keep goping outside in the Alaskan winter!

Mike

aaalaska

Yes most all the big game is either closed or sleeping. What part of our beautiful state are you visiting.There are a few places to hunt small game, and some ice fishing to be had.

kaylorinhi

AAA- I will be just down the road in Wasilla, my Wife's family lives NE of the city.

Steve- I would love to take on a predator like that. I figure it is a No Closed Season species? I will be using Hornady 165s so power and accuracy is not an issue for wolves and such.

I am debating on bringing my 700 SPS in .308. I think it would be worth it to bring it and not use it!!

aaalaska

OK quick run down units14 A&B wolf season runs Aug 10 -April 30 non res tag $30. no tag required units9,10,12, 13 16,17, 19 ,20 ,25. unit 13 is up the road, either the Parks or the Glenn. 16 is across the Big Su river and is probably still fly in only till things get cold long enough.BTW it 0 now .and the wind is blowing about 25 with gusts expected to 45 tonight an tomorrow, 55 to 60 the next day. Unit 20 is up around Fairbanks, there was a report of wolves killing dogs up that way on the news tonight. Unless your in love with the 308 I'd leave it home , a 22 ,shotgun & 223 will serve you much better for what is out there now. Most here use the 22 for Hares [rabbits] and grouse ,ptarmigan. The 223 for fox , coyote , wolves ,lynx.If you have a caller I'd pack that to.
Alex

kaylorinhi

Thanks AAA

I will orient myself to the units.

If any one is or knows someone is going after wolves around the thanksgiving time frame? I will buy lunch, or cover their tag fee whatever!

Kaylorinhi