AK74 questions

SteelJM1

Hey guys, I searched the forum a checked out the net, and I still have some questions on getting a 74.

Am i correct that the Bulgarian ones tend to be the best? As well as the Polish Tantals if i want I wire stock? It doesn't look very easy to get a decent cheek weld on that wire stock though. Do the Bulgarian ones from CAI have the chromed barrels and gas chambers? What's the word on the Romanian variants?

Basically i'm looking at the first 10 or so offerings at J&G sales and i'm not sure which one to pick up http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/cPath/209_214

Also, what's the word on the Russian red dot sights that are made to be installed on the AK rifles? Any good or complete junk?

Thanks for the help guys.

chris in va

All I can say is consider getting an AK in 7.62x39 instead. While 5.45 is cheaper, there is some discussion about 'assault rifle' ammo getting restricted in the future, and IIRC 5.45 isn't made in the US.

That's all I have to offer, sorry.:cool:

44-40

got my ak74 from center fire systems yesterday, looks o.k., sorry to say ammo hasn't arrived yet so can't comment on the important things, trigger feels good,sights look good, not canted, rifling does not appear to be very deep??? Wish I was more help.

gotigers

I have thought about this lately. I would go with 7.62x39. You can find ammo at walmart, dicks, bass pro, etc. If your in a pinch for ammo, you can find it local. 5.45 will be difficult to find local. Local dept. stores wouldn't be my primary source of ammo, but it is nice to know you can find it with out ordering it.

Axel357

Great choice. I read a review recently about an ARS '74 and they sound top notch. Really do love my Arsenal SGL-31 though :D