AK74 muzzle brakes

DE Shooter

Hello and happy new year to all. Will an original AK74 muzzle break perform the same, rapid firing on an AK74 clone, as an aftermarket (US made type) that works for 7.62x39 or 5.45x39?

Wyoredman

I bought a TAPCO made AK74 break for my WASR 10. After installation, bullets were hitting high left by 2 feet at 30 yards. I examined the break and the bullets were hitting the bottom of the break. I took it off and put the nut back on. I must have gotten a bad one.:(

It did help with muzzle rise, though.

amd6547

Not sure what you are looking for here, but I am running a Bulgarian 74 brake on my 5.45, and I am astounded at how effective it is.
5.45 dosn't recoil much to begin with, but the 74 brake makes it like a 22 rimfire.
In aimed rapid fire, you can almost feel the muzzle being held down.

Dfariswheel

Hello and happy new year to all. Will an original AK74 muzzle break perform the same, rapid firing on an AK74 clone, as an aftermarket (US made type) that works for 7.62x39 or 5.45x39?

This depends entirely on what kind of American AK-74 brake.
There are "look-alike" brakes like the Tapco type, and there are very close copies of the original.

The Tapco types offer at least some braking action but since they aren't constructed anything like the real AK brake, they offer little real reduction.
The better American made exact copies work just as well as the original Soviet AK-74 brake.

Also, to get the most effect out of an American exact copy brake on a 5.45x39, it has to be a 5.45x39, not a 7.62x39.
The larger hole in the 7.62 allows too much gas bypass in the 5.45.

bamaranger

slant

I put a slant on my variant, 'cause I liked the classic look.

For semi-auto fire, and since I don't do any shooting w/ it in reduced light, it does fine. Try youtube for some slo-mo videos of assorted brakes.