Ak74 magazines

Austin Cowart

So I picked up my first ak74 the other day, and boy is it nice. The only problem I have is finding decient magazines. I have read very mixed reviews on the tapco stuff, an to be honest I'm not overly find of tapco products. Does anyone know where I might find some decient magazines for this thing. I keep reading that people like Russian and Bulgarian mags... Where can I find them?

Erno86

I've heard the Russian "Red Dawn" magazines are not that dependable. Besides...I've heard that they glow in the Afghan moonlight.:cool:
RGuns might have some Red Dawn magazines in stock. {they are good collector items} One guy at our range uses a Red Dawn magazine in his 74...and I don't think that he has any problems with his; but they do not appear to be very beefy looking.
J&G Sales, sells some dependable --- but used --- metal/polymer Russian/Bulgarian AK74, 30 round magazines; but make sure they send you the 5.45x39 magazine and not the 223 magazine.

Last edited:

bitttorrrent

Yeah, I tried a new Tapco in my Romanian and it just did not fit in??? Waste of time. I have several 30 rnd metal ones, but do not waste time on the Tapco plastic junk.

Tucker 1371

My East German Bakelite mag is what came with my AK74 and I haven't had one hiccup out of it. I have two Chinese steel mags and they can't feed three rounds without jamming. Polish Tantal mags are also great, I've had zero malfunctions using those as well. As a rule of thumb any Eastern European (East German, Polish, Russian) made mag is going to run well, anything else is 50/50.

Mobuck

Some of the plastic mags require "fitting" of the tab on the back where the latch engages. I haven't used my 74 all that much but haven't had any trouble with the Tapco mags.

Cossack

I have a couple Tapco 10-rounders that never have given me trouble, but if I really had to trust my gun, I'd use a surplus mag. The Bulgarian plastic mags with metal tab and lips (they come in red, tan, or black) are great, as well as the East German "Bakelite" mags. (technically it's not bakelite, but that what we call them).

It looks like JG and KVar have Bulgarian mags in and out of stock. Some are new production, but I imagine they're the same as the surplus. Check GunBroker as well.

These Bakelites are pricy, but worth having if you don't have any other good mags: http://whatacountry.com/ak-74.aspx