AK47 weaver rail?

gfen

Plan on putting the EOtech on my (Polish?) AK-47 underfolder, and I need to know what I'm looking for to do it.

I'm cheap, and I'm happy with "good enough" over "best" so anything over about $50ish is not gonna be on my shopping list, either.

So, am I looking for the sort of weaver rail that's built into the top of the dust cover? Or, is it better with the rails that affix to teh side of the receiver?

I've found the dust-cover style for under $30 at a website, gunaccessories.com, and it seems to be the right answer:
http://www.gunaccessories.com/Scope-Mounts/Mak-90ScopeMount.jpg
(pardon my hotlinking)

So, is that it, and I'd be (probably) happy?

HorseSoldier

Ultimak would work with an EOTech, mounts on the gas tube.

Krebs Customs has a rail that goes on top of the dust cover, but I don't think they've released them for sale yet. Not sure what their price is going to be.

You could look into the Russian side mounts. I think there are some versions that have Picatinny rails instead of a fixed optic. I don't think they'd be hard for a gunsmith to mount.

Plink

Leapers just introduced a railed forend for the AK series. It's a lot less money than the Ultimak and it locks up nice and stable. The downside (to me anyway) is that it has rails all over the forend also, not just on top. These always feel horrible to me, with or without the rubber covers (which it comes with). It might be worth taking a look at to see if it meets your needs though.

2002gti

another +1 for ultimak - tough as nails - ive run over 6000 rounds through this setup without any loss of zero.

HPIM0023-1.jpg

gfen

While the posted mounts look good, $100>$50ish budget. :) Also, the DC route looks to be good enough for the EOtech sight, I'm not expecting MOA accuracy, more like minute of zombi..er, no zombie threads. :)

Maybe I should rephrase the question: Is there anything better than a dust cover mount for less than $60 shipped? :)

Manedwolf

Wonder if there's any that would fit a Saiga? I like the foregrip that came with it. The top of the gas tube is sort of exposed, but the foreend fits snug to its sides.

MD_Willington

What part would fit on the Saiga?

If you mean an ultimak, you can give them a shout in Moscow Idaho... they are pretty friendly and answer the phone... they're actually only about 15 minutes from where I live... ;)

Manedwolf

The foreend mount for a red dot, which is what I'm curious about.

And I think I might do that, thank you. :)

(I could replace the whole foregrip, but I don't want to...I like it.)

MD_Willington

Here ya go then:

fax: 208-882-3896 voice: 208-883-4734
2216 South Main, Suite B2, Moscow, ID 83843

I like the foregrip too on my Saiga, so it's staying put!

Jamie Young

Siderail or Ultimak are the way to go.

I went with an el-cheapo gas tube mount and it did not cut it. I think the AK with an Eotech is nearly perfection.

AK103K

You saved up for the Eotech, why screw it up by going "cheap" now?

The Ultimak is hands down THE BEST add on to any AK. The second best is a good, quality red dot, which you already have one of. (personally, I like the Aimpoints better :) )

Do yourself a favor and buy the best your budget cant afford now. You'll just end up doing it later, and it will have cost you more in the long run, so I'm saving you money. :)

gfen

You saved up for the Eotech, why screw it up by going "cheap" now?

Nah, I didn't save up for the EOtech. It fell in my lap as a aquintence was selling off all his possessions to join the Foreign Legion (no, really, although I don't know if he made it or not, he's just disappeared). $80! :)

And that's exactly why I'm not going to spend more on a mount than I did on the actual item, which I view as nothing more than a nifty toy with pretty red lights. :)

I bet that last line just went right through a whole lotta people who want one of these things for legitimate purposes. Heh.

Manedwolf

There's also a Russian KOBRA sight, which is basically (supposedly) a rugged holosight that attaches to the standard AK siderail mount.

I have no idea if they're as good as the EOtech, but they're back above the dustcover, not out front atop the gas tube.

HorseSoldier

I haven't tried to Cobra, either, but I do like the PK-AS, which is kind of more like an AimPoint than an EOTech, but has the option of non-powered 1 MOA black dot with outer ring (kind of like the EoTech) or a 1.5-2 MOA red dot for less precise or limited illumination use. Can be had from Tantal in side mount or 1913 rail compatible versions.

Mike U.

I believe CDNN Investments has a side rail mount for AK's that is sub-$50.00.
From what I've read, it is really stable and I've been very tempted to get one for my next AK.
Actually, I do plan on getting one cuz it's just a handy way to mount optics on an AK.
Currently, I have a four rail fore grip mount on my WASR and the attached red dot sight has not lost much of it's zero to date. I can even take it off and put it back on at will and it maintains zero fairly well. Adjustments have not been needed the last few times I've had it off. It's not precisely zeroed, mind you, but well enough for consistent minute-of-racoon shots at 100 yards. :D
The last time I remember having to make adjustments to that red dot, it was minimal and quickly done.