• AK47

Votes: 33 55.9%
  • SKS

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • CETME

Votes: 12 20.3%

• Total voters

270Win

Don't know much about the CETME (is it Spanish?), but between the other two, the AK-47 tends to be a little nicer.

JohnBrowning

270Win,

As I recall from SGN, the CETME, and later the G3 was what the Germans came up with after FN rudely refused to sell them the rights to manufacture the FAL.

I can't say I have ever fired a CETME, but they are reported to be reliable when clean, and the design does seem to have lasted quite some time. I own a SKS, and having found it to be full of problems, I'd take the AK unless I needed a .308 for some reason.

Little Wolf

The CETME/G3 is the most reliable of the .308 battle rifles. The Mexican Army uses them standard issue if that tells you something about them!

The only MAIN downside of the CETME compared to the other two is that the sights only go out to 400 yards, so for 500 or 600 yrd shots you'll have to Kentucky windage it. However, CETME's reliability (a good one, not one of the imported Century pieces of junk) is right up there with the AK, and it is in .308 caliber which easily beats the AK's 7.62x39 in terms of stopping power, accuracy, and range. Not to mention that the AK is seeing ammo supply problems in the US NOW! Imagine trying to obtain ammo during SHTF! Meanwhile .308 is NATO issue, Mexican Military issue (for those of you on the south of the border) and can be found at any gunshop, Walmart, or store that sells ammunition.

czc3513

it is in .308 caliber which easily beats the AK's 7.62x39 in terms of stopping power, accuracy, and range. Not to mention that the AK is seeing ammo supply problems in the US NOW! Imagine trying to obtain ammo during SHTF! Meanwhile .308 is NATO issue, Mexican Military issue (for those of you on the south of the border) and can be found at any gunshop, Walmart, or store that sells ammunition.
That is why I am considering one.
But the one available, is an "imported Century piece of junk".
How much would a good CETME cost me?

270Win

JohnBrowning,

Thanks for the info! I just did a microsecond of Googling it, and for some reason one of the pages was completely in Spanish. Hence my confusion.

Little Wolf

It's not that the Century's are ALL bad. It's just that with century, you either get a bargin shooter, or you get a lemon. It is a bit of a gamble, and I do know of people who bought Century CETMA/G3 clones for around $400 bucks that have proven to be as reliable and accurate and the real thing. I have also heard horror stories.....

It is your money, though, if you can buy one from a dealer who will stand by his product (accept a return if it doesn't work, etc) then I'd so go for it. Otherwise, I'd recommend you go straight for the best and buy this.

The PTR91 is about the highest quality G3 clone you can get, and at a very reasonable price (Around $700 if you shop around). There is very little risk in purchasing one verus a century, and they have a great warrenty in case something ever does go wrong.

Pappy John

I like the .308 over the 7.63X39, but if your only available Cetme is a Century build, I'd only buy it if you have pretty good mechanical abilities.

I have one that works perfectly every time, but I had to fix three seperate bugs before it got that way and then tossed in some extra work on smoothing out the trigger pull before it was really enjoyable to shoot.

I got it for $295 about 16 months ago, and considering all the work I had to put into it post-puchase, I guess I got what I paid for.:eek: But I like tinkering on things anyway, and now I've got a good bargain shooter that I can have some pride in owning since I had a big part in making it work so well.:cool:

OBIWAN

AK47 vs. SKS is easy

The AK47 is better for "fighting"....SKS may have a slight nod for "shooting"

Any .308 rifle (including the cetme)is in a different class...so it depends on what you want the weapon to do.

Against vehicles or enemies behind good cover the 7.62x51 is much better than the 7.62 x 39

Ammo is lighter for the x39

Availability and cost is slightly better with x39