AK47 or AR15 in NY

Johnc

I live in NY where the Brady Bill is still alive and well :mad: , despite it's death alsewhere in the United States. Does any one have any ideas on where to get a pre ban or NY legal AK or AR15without giving up both lungs? Ideally, I am interested in a Romanian like a WASR in 7.62. Alternatively , an AR-15 (M-16 or M4) in .223 or .308 would work.

Remembering that NY is currently under ten shot, no flash suppressor, no bayonet lug, no threaded barrels restrictions on post 9/13/94 productions.

Thanks!

FrontSight

Be VERY careful with determining Pre vs Post Ban. Serial numbers will not help you determine it, and actually I'm not 100% sure exactly what will. From what I understand, it has to have been assembled pre-ban date, not just manufactured. And how do you prove that? Not sure.

So you might want to go with what boltgun71 said - get it w/o telescoping sight, bayonet lug, and flash hider.

SOOOOO stupid, like any of that makes any difference what so ever to criminals.

All it does is:

1) Take comfort away from us legal shooters because we can't have a telescoping stock,

2) Keep us from turning our rifle into a spear (how the heck do you outlaw a spear, anyway??? What the hell is that all about??) and

3) Blind us if we decide to have some fun with night time target practice.

Nice, real nice.

Anyay, Orange County Shooters webpage has some helpful info:

http://www.ocshooters.com/

About 2/3rds down the page on the left side; NY's Assault Weapon Ban.

Good luck, I am on the quest for one myself!

RoyP

Unless its a long island thing,It doesn't have to be a 10 shot.Any new york gun shop that usually carries those type of guns should have a new york'ed ak or ar.I bought a wasr10 from a local shop,no bayo lug,or threaded barrel brand new from century arms with 2 30 round mags.He also had 2 ar's at the time.All new ar's will only come with 10 rounders but there are plenty of pre ban mags out there still.Pre bans ar's are still out there,you just don't see them for sale very often.

Desert01

A word on AK's in NY. A freind nearly got burned on a rifle he bought from a shop. Seems we have some extra content rules in NY. I don't know the exact issue, but walk carefully.

Desert01

Johnc

Thanks for all the excellent replies. Some I have tried already some were on my "to do list". The more I hear, the more I think that a trusted local gun shop may be the way to go for us New Yorkers. We just have far too many restrictions on us now.

BTW in case my fellow NYers are unaware, if you are a current pistol license holder here as I am, it no longer carries any weight when it comes to a background check for a long arm. No matter what class license you have!

OCShooters

Ar 15

Any AR you buy from an FFL in NY should be legal
You can buy a new one from Gander Mtn. in Middletown and check with Master Class in Monroe, if they do not have one they can get one.
george
OCShooters.com

USMCG_HMX1

DPMS makes a pump action AR-15 with integrated 10 round mag. You need to remove the takedown pin to reload it.

I'm not sure on the NY laws, but this one is CA legal since it's marketed for the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia.

This might the only way for you to "legally" own one.

Good luck.

Kris

FrontSight

Not sure about pre-ban in NYS, but I think yes, going by O.C.S. website about pre-ban Glock mags. In NYC no "assault weapons" items of any kind, neither pre nor post ban. Penalty for first offense is a violation, and 15 days & about $300 but STILL THAT IS PLENTY!!