Ak47 mods?

Greg Bell

I have a post-ban AK (mak-90) with US stock conversion. I like the gun--but it isn't very accurate. I know than AKs are supposedly inherantly mediocre when it comes to accuracy--but what can be done. I like the Ak. It is handy and plinking ammo is cheap. Are their any mods that can help? Is there a high-quality barrel that I could have installed? Reliability work seems pointless--the gun won't choke as far as I can tell. So help me out? Any smiths?

GHB

Rosco Benson

There is intrinsic accuracy and there is practical accuracy. Intrinsic accuracy is the degree of accuracy that the weapon/ammo combination is mechanically capable of. Intrinsic accuracy is best tested in some sort of machine rest, so as to remove human error. Practical accuracy is the degree of accuracy a skilled shooter can attain with the weapon. Thus sights, trigger quality, and "ergonomics" are irrelevant to intrinsic accuracy, but impact practical accuracy to a great degree.

The AK's sights are not optimal for best practical accuracy. They are coarse and have a short sight radius, which exaggerates aiming errors. Most AK's have buttstocks that are too short for most Americans. Also, most AK triggers are far from what one would select for a target match (although I do find the typical Kalashnikov "roll-off" trigger release to be pretty good for attaining a surprise break). All this to say, the AK is what it is. It is a meat-ax, meant to work reliably in spite of incredible abuse. In spite of the overly optimistic sight adjustments, the AK is typically used well inside 100 yards.

It is probably worth trying several different kinds of ammo in your rifle, to see if it has a preference for a particular kind. You might consider mounting a scope or red-dot sight. A scope, of course, does nothing for intrinsic accuracy, but it can help you SEE better and hold more closely and consistantly than the AK's iron sights. If you mount an optic, you should us a mount that secures to the AK's receiver, not its flimsy top cover.

Rosco

Casey

The 1911 used to be known for its dependability, not its accuracy. This was because it was designed with loose tolerances, and the claims that were made about it (and proven, I might add), sounded amazingly similar to those that the Glock fanatics make today.

If you tighten up the tolerances to make it more accurate (which is what has been done to the 1911 and clones), then it becomes less dependable. How accurate and how less dependable depends, in some cases, on how good the designer/gunsmith is. Some of the custom guns are very accurate and also very reliable. I own a Baer, and it is both. I also own Kimber, and although its not as accurate, it is very dependable. How much less accurate? I can't shoot well enough to tell the diference.

You can have your cake and eat it too; it WILL cost you some money, and you need to be very careful regarding who does the work.

Casey

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
Longer sight radius would help

Figure out a way to mount a peep sight (maybe use a sidemount, similar to scop mounts), that will improve pratical accuracy.

shiroikuma

Not much you can do about intrinsic accuracy. I did see a post about having the rifle Cryo frozen at http://www.ak47.net this was supposed to reduce groups sizes by 1/2. Normally (on mine at least) as the gun heats up the groups spread (supposedly because of stresses in the steel. Freezing is supposed to eleminate the stress pockets or something. I have no idea if it works.

For fun and accuracy you need a scope or a kobra holo sight. The holo sight projects a red aiming point into a glass circle you aim with both eyes wide open. It's not magnified but it very quick to line up and much easier to use than the normal sights which I have a hard time focusing on. On a mak you'd have to buy a scope rail too and install it. ( all you need is a drill ann patience) the holos are about $150 and the scope rail is about $20. You'd need the scope rail for a scope too.

I'm done ;)

shiro

Steve Smith

I have a Kobra on mine, and while it of course does not make the rifle more accurate, it does allow you to aim more precisely. My groups shrank a lot when I put it on. Installing the rail is very easy if you measure well and have some cobalt drill bits.