ak47. 5.56 or 7.62?

vostracker

Think I'm gonna get a Ak Underfolder. Cant decide if I want one in 5.56 to be ammo compatible with my AR or go with the original 7.62. What does the hive think?

ISC

1) Good 5.56 mags are harder to come by than 7.62x39 mags
2) 7.62x39 has better terminal performance but worse ballistic charactoristics than 5.56x45

Lavid2002

Psh....the purpose of an ak is to blow stuff up. Who wants a ak if it doesnt have some power behind it! I personally buy a new gun for variety. If I wanted a new gun I wouldnt get in the same caliber I already have.
Well....If I had a .308 hunting rifle I would get an AR10, but Not a 5.56 ak when I have an AR15 already :p Go for the 7.62. Also....buy CHEAP 7.62. Use er and abuse er. I would never put wolf crap in my ar15....but an ak. Wolf is like an after lunch snack :p

arizona98tj

I didn't realize that there was any CHEAP 7.62 left.
Actually, didn't realize there was any 7.62 left, CHEAP or otherwise. :D

As for which caliber to get, I struggled with that decision recently myself. I picked up a Saiga and ended up getting it in .223 vs. x39. If the supply of foreign x39 dries up (because of a ban or heavy taxes), I thought a US caliber might be easier to acquire....and worse case, I can reload for it from the supply of brass I already have. If my assumption is proved wrong and 7.62x39 continues to be plentiful at a reasonable price, I'll buy another Saiga in that caliber.....oh darn the bad luck. :)

i try to live by the K.I.S.S. principle

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

so i like the idea of one in 5.56, but then why not just get a different style AR.

T

MikeGoob

True, the 7.62 will be the first to get banned when foreign ammo is no longer imported. Maybe it will be picked up by a US company but dont hold your breath.

BUT theres not much point to a 5.56 AK because it is pretty rare. Id stick to an AR for 5.56 and an AK for 7.62 (and 308 ;) )