AK pistol grip question???

P99AS9

I knew something was different about my AK when i bought it, and I just found out what it was! The AK has a wooden stock and a wooden handguard, but a synthetic pistol grip! I've looked at many AK's online, and all of the ones with wooden stock furniture had a wooden pistol grip too. Is this a mistake when it was put together or what? Also, I dont really want my AK being an oddball :D. So does anyone know where I could buy a seperate wood pistol grip for my AK? But here's the catch. The rest of the stock furniture is made of the not very common Russian redwood, and I want the pistol grip to match the set. Any help here???

Jamie Young

Is it a WASR?

Are you more concerned about the LOOK of the AK rather than the feel? I had to put SAW AK grips on my AKs because the majority of the standard size AK wooden grips were too thin for me.

CGSteve8718

I hate to rain on your parade, the rifle is Romanian, including the furniture. The furniture is in fact very common, as Romanian "G" kits (which that rifle was built from) are the most common.

For a wooden pistol grip (which would not be "correct" for that rifle) you can check out http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/2aprod/1zAKproduct.html

Here's an example of an extra Romanian furniture set:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/./prod...d/456?osCsid=f711eb3af861dbc3ec4037d5ffe0b936

NDS 3 is not the rifle model number, it is the model number of the receiver used to build it. It is made by NoDakSpud, which the concensus of the AK building/collecting/enthusiast community say is the highest quality. DCI is another name for NDS, same company.

Jamie has a point, many people tacticool out their guns, or modify their guns to their liking. It sounds like you are going for historical accuracy on your gun, in which case, the wine colored bakelite Romanian grip is the right one.

Silentarmy

My guess is that the plastic grip was installed along with other U.S. made parts to comply with USC section 922 rules. Although the real furniture looks great and it would be nice to have it all match, installing such items makes one eligible for a federal prison sentence and more $$ in fines than most of us have stuffed in the mattress! It is a really silly rule but 922 requires X number of non imported parts to beinstalled before legally imported and sold as well as owned AFAIK.