AK mag carriers?

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Hey all you AK gurus and afficianados out there. How do you carry your spare mags?

I have an E. German pouch but it doesn't fit my belt well. Plus it flops around when I run.

Anyone know where to get a "good" tac-style vest that takes AK mags? Or if there are pouches that will fit Alice suspenders?

MAKOwner

I don't know if they are worth a damn but sportsmansguide.com used to carry some Korean I think it was load bearing-like vests that were for AK mags. All black, nylon I believe construction. I've been meaning to order one and give it a try, anyone have one? Can't figure out if it's a cheap ass POS or a decent LBV ripoff.

Ah, here it is: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showad.html?promo_code=WX2&item_id=64176

I've just been using the 4 mag pouches as well, not ideal but not too bad either...

Destructo6

I have a set of those 4-cell E. German "raindrop" mag pouches as well. However, I also have the E. German pistol belt, suspenders, and Makarov flap holster (raindrop style, too) to go along with them, so nothing flops.

IIRC the Bulgarians made a 4-cell pouch with a neck strap. It looks something like this (from Kvar):

http://www.k-varcorp.com/spare/spimages/KR-004B.jpg

Also, the South Africans made a pretty nice LBV that I've seen in reddish-tan and green that was designed for their R4/R5 AK derrivatives.

Cheaper than Dirt has some stuff, too.

LEG-102 German LBE

Drue

In the milsurp price range I like the Chinese 3 mag chest pouches. They have grenade/utility pouches that can carry 120 rounds of 7.62x39 providing a total of 4 30 round mags (incl. the one in the rifle) plus enough loose rounds for a full reload.

Most of the euro comblock mag pouches have belt loops for 50mm belts and do not work with USGI pistol belts or ALICE gear without sewing. The Polish 3 mag pouches and the later EG pouches (green webbing closures & belt loops rather than the earlier gray) will fit on USGI pistol belts. Be careful the euro AK-74 (5.45mm) pouches. Some of them like the Bulgarian and Russian pouches will not close on the longer 7.62mm mags.

If you want a full LBE setup, the British '58 pattern webbing has mag pouches that are perfect for 3 AK mags each. Sportsmans Guide has the '58 web sets for about $20.

For higher grade but more expensive stuff, check out Lightfighter.com. The link below:

http://www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=1169394

points to the AK pouches by Tactical Taylor. They fit USGI ALICE or Molle equipment as well as TT's vest bodies. Browsing around the site, you will find all kinds of pouches and vests from SOE, Blackhawk, TT, Eagle, HSG, London Bridge etc. Lightfighter has quite a selection of good gear.

HTH

Drue

AK103K

Blackhawk has a couple of chest pouches that will fit the 7.62 AK mags. One will carry 8 and the other will carry 12. Better start eating your Wheaties, they are heavy when loaded. :) Unless it says its specificly made for the AK mags, you better try them first.