AK General Info

glockopop

I'm in the market for an AK, mostly for plinking, maybe to experiment with 3-gun competition. The only one I've shot was a pretty standard romanian. Are there any nationalities or brands that are better than others? Does anybody know anything about Vulcan Armaments? I've looked at their website and they look pretty good. Is there any things to look for/beware of in a used or mil surplus AK? Any recommended accessories?

MTMilitiaman

The Krebs, VEPR II, and the Bulagrian Arsenals are widely regarded as the best around. The Krebs can run you around a grand, the VEPR about $600, and the Bulgy a little more. MAK 90s are good rifles if you can find one in good condition. My uncle has one and it is solid. He paid about $150 for his and got a 75 round drum for it, but nowdays I think they are running closer to $400. The cheapest is the WASR-10, which I have. You should be able to pick them up for around $300. But adding a new trigger and doing a little Dremel work to polish the mag well can turn it into a decent rifle.

Regardless, I recommend the Mojo ghost ring sight and the TAPCO M249 style pistol grip, but recommend against the TAPCO Galil style side-folder.

r.w. schrack

Bulgarian milled, probably best ones going, think Arsenal sells them, the MAK90 is another good choice and the Yugo, both are stamped but are very reliable (dumb statemant all are reliable) All are good. I have a milled Bulgarian with black polymare fore stock and top, Mr. Dremel and I custom fitted a Romanian side folder to fit, dyed a Romainian Leather sling black and obtained a E.German type 1 bayonet which is black and ved a notch under front sight for it, The earley ones did not have bayonet lug. It appears that it was removed and rounded off. Installed a slanted muzzle break and a recoil buffer. I had a Romainian with scope mount did not care for the scope, thay are more fun without. Also favor the 20rd Hungarin mags over the 30rd. Owened a Maddi which was rouhg but functioned very well thay are very close to a Russian. Good Luck hope this helped. Reggie

shaggy

I've got several of the milled Bulgarian Arsenals and a pair of MAK90s. The MAKs are good, and will probably serve you quite well, but with the cost of the Bulgarians only $100-200 more than a $400 MAK, I'd really recommend the Bulgarian. Accuracy is better than the MAK90 and they're built like tanks. They are a little bit heavier due to the milled receiver, but they have a much more 'solid' feel to them.

Trapp

I build a Yugo U/F (see my other thread) The stamped receiver is quite a bit heavier than other ones. SOG (I think) Is selling them built on the same receiver I used, riveted of course (unlike my screw build :D ). They are going for $395 and are getting pretty good reveiws on the AK forum I go to.

rallyhound

nothing wrong with my Vulcan AK.
Siaga receiver with standard ak stuff.
Not one problem in two years and probably 3000 rounds.
cheap too.

Trapp

nothing wrong with my Vulcan AK.
Siaga receiver with standard ak stuff

That's why right there. It is not a Vulcan/Hesse receiver. Vulcan/hesse (same people) had (has) horrible quality control on their AK receivers
Saiga's receivers on the other hand are very high quality.

rallyhound

I see. The one i have is marked Vulcan as well as Siaga.
I am in Minneapolis and these guys are local so any problems i have will be taken care of as they see me at every gun show.
I have one of their AR's that everybody likes to bash.
It has been perfect for over 10 years now---go figure.
By the way i had a DPMS receiver that cracked in half on the fifth round from new. Buy a gun --it's all a crapshoot i guess.